Thursday, February 21, 2019

Coco Thai Cuisine, International Drive

I tried this Thai restaurant over a week ago in the afternoon for take out. It is aside some new hotel construction where Wet N Wild used to be. If I remember correctly, it has been open for around a year and is helmed by a chef from Northern Thailand whom has roamed around the planet in search of his perfect kitchen. So, it's not just Tom Yums, Satays and Curried Chickens and rice. His staff is also a bit representative. I remember some talk of Khmer (Cambodian) employees. I ordered some apps because I want to be more aware of Thai cuisine, but, they (other Thai restaurants) usually offer such a limited and redundant selection that I rarely see anything new. I had a chicken larb (I believe I had that at the Laotian place on 50), nam sod pork and curry puffs. All $6. The larb was minced chicken (also in beef) mixed with ground rice and scallions, cilantro, mint, chili powder and served on raw cabbage leaves. It was good. I love ground meats of any kind. The portion is enough for most people for a meal. The nam sod portion was even bigger. This preparation involved minced pork (also in chicken) with ginger, peanuts (whole), onion, scallions, cilantro, chili powder on raw lettuce leaves. It came with a side sauce. I can't remember if I liked it better than the larb. The curry puffs (5 or 6) were little, fried, empanada looking vessels filled with chicken, sweet potato, curry, cilantro and pepper. I'm pretty sure I've never seen that on a Thai menu. They were easily wolfed down. The rest of the menu has a lot you've seen before. I'll point out a few of the specialties instead. Basil Duck. Three Flavored Fish. Basil Mixed Seafood. Volcano Shrimp. Kung Makham (Tamarind Shrimp). Red Duck Curry. Ginger Striped Bass. These all run in the mid twenties. Most of the rest of the entrees are in line (low teens). The place is one big, white, glass, square room with a bar in the rear and open kitchen on the left. It's a new build out. Hard to say how popular it is. I was there at 2pm and it was predictably empty. It was more than I expected it to be. It's worth a second look. Lots of parking.

No comments: