Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Delaney's Tavern, SoDo

I tried this replacement of Doc's across from the hospital (is it still ORMC?) on South Orange two Sundays ago at lunch. It opened in August. It is now on the ground floor. They have put a nice looking (didn't see the rooms) hotel on the second floor. It's run by the Doc's owner. Doctor something or other. They have a brunch ($40) on Sunday's. I didn't try it. Aside from some meat (prime rib?) carving station, it seemed like a VERY middling hotel spread. They had stone crabs, but, they were so small and hairy (thawed) that you know they tasted like origami. I went with scallop and shrimp grits for $22. It wasn't that much of a hose job. They offered up four "real" (abductor attached), large scallops and four plump, fresh shrimp. Cooked perfectly. The purple grits (I think from some supplier in Jacksonville that they felt we would be impressed by by naming them on the menu) were also what they should be. They also added a lot of tasso ham and I think some kind of cheese. It was topped with a creamy, tomato-y, peppery sauce akin to (and maybe) a remoulade. A nice serving size. The menu had just changed and was diverse and manageable. I remember $13 burgers, $10 flat breads, $10 sandwiches and then some higher priced "structured" main courses. They give every type of shopper an exit ramp. The one peeve they plucked was the $3.50, ice filled soda. Really? They also had a trendy collection of wine, beer and cocktails. The buffet was served in a "back room". I was in the front (bar). There was a smallish "middle" room. The floor plan is rather rectangular. I was across from the bar in an elevated, semi-circular booth. There were two couples at the bar, one in the middle room and four of five couples in the buffet area. It seemed like a mix of hotel guests and artsy locals. The décor was on the trendy side. I seem to recall grays and blacks. More sterilized "farmsy/woodsy" than industrial. All new. Not a ton of light. TVs above the bar. Service was professional and polite. On the weekends you can parking in front on the metered (thanks City Beautiful) streets or they have a parking garage in back (that they validate) or a valet service. I think I liked Doc's. I definitely like Delaney's. I haven't been able to say that about new openings very much lately. So, I guess I have to tell you to make the effort. It's a much better re-do than Julie Broughton's tummy tuck and breast reduction. It should be on the 2020 Favorite's list.

*Starbucks promised to eliminate food waste by 2020. Now they say that they will be 60% NON-compliant by 2021! Remember that the next time you pat yourself on the back for spending responsibly or believing "socially" responsible pr bs. I could also tell you some things about how much fossil fuel the fashion industry uses. But, you wouldn't feel so smug about yourselves then. Would you? I mean, I HAVE to be on trend. I don't have to take a plane to cross the ocean.

No comments: