Friday, January 24, 2020

Grub Crawl - New Smyrna Beach: Caffe Vesuvio's, Bagel World and Pappas Drive In

I visited these places during the day on the thirteenth. The first two are on 44 after you cross over the intercoastal. The last one is on US 1 before the airport.

Caffe Vesuvio's - I grabbed two slices of pepperoni for $3 a piece. They said the owner is from Napoli. You couldn't really tell by these spongy, American, low cheese quality slices. Better looking were some sandwiches I saw being served to another table. I felt I should have gone in this direction while looking at the menu, but, I thought it was just a pizzeria and I had prepared myself for slices to be eaten on the beach. The thing about the sandwiches was the bread. It looked "baguette-y". They said they bake it there. It looked like it. They have a full Italian menu. It is a a full service restaurant. New. Not bad looking. A 16" pizza is $14. Most things are not above the mid-teens. I should go back and do it for real at some point. I think they said they have been open for a year or so.

Bagel World NSB - This little shack was a bit farther down the street. Near the curve. I grabbed a jalapeno bagel with regular cream cheese for $3. I've had worse bagels. That's about all they have. Some breakfast sandwiches and a few more things. Tiny place. Oldish. Ten or so varieties of bagels. They said they have been there for decades. Like forty or fifty.

Pappas Drive In - There are around five or six places I have to try on US 1. I picked them first because I'm a sucker for drive ins. I'll venture that this is Greek owned. Some of the items were Greek. A huge menu of every thing from prime rib and grouper to hot dogs and milkshakes. I grabbed a double cheeseburger (only 70 cents more), a hot dog and a vanilla coke float. The DCB was $3.25. The HD was $1.95. The float was $2.50. I ate them for dinner. The float and HD were average. The DCB was pretty good. Crinkly patty. Buttered bun. You can order and eat in your car or eat inside. They took credit cards. They also have a full breakfast menu that is served anytime. A little more on the menu. They have Italian dishes. They have seafood platters. They have liver and onions. Like I said, it has almost everything. They even have beer. And cereal. You get the idea. A living compendium of Twentieth Century dining.

* Some things I've seen lately: On CNN in the airport. A special on coffee. Two crazy ones I remember are the Sami people of Sweden putting cheese in their coffee in place of milk and a Vietnamese version with eggs instead of milk (war shortages started it).  I also saw a Canadian Guy Fieri-like show where they go to Rome and the place makes a cacio e pepe pizza by putting ice cubes in the middle of the dough and then bakings it and then adding (see how I'm making the verb tenses agree)  grated cacio to the water. I also ate an interesting porridge in Jackson Hole. It was made with quinoa, granola, soy milk, shredded coconut and fresh fruit.

** Riddle me this - Why does a sub 7oz bag of gold fish crackers fit in such a smaller bag than 7oz of Cape Cod potato chips (or 5oz of others)? It's rhetorical. One scum bag is selling you air and not exactly helping the environment. I don't get it. You would think the economics of stuffing more packages in a delivery vehicle would offset whatever marketing benefits large size packaging must deliver. And a note on the "green" item I cited recently about fashion and the environment. I also just have received confirmation of a theory I have held for years. All you little twits constantly on your smart devices and recharging them at every turn. Inquire into have much electricity is required to quench you addiction. And then chirp about sustainability.

No comments: