Monday, January 13, 2020

The Steer Steakhouse, Belle Isle - Closed

I tried this steakhouse in the old German restaurant location (Baern Steuben?) on South Orange and Sand Lake on Saturday at lunch. They are closed Sunday and Monday. They opened in May. It was a good value. Way better than any chain steak restaurant. I had the daily special because it was so amazingly inexpensive and then threw in an app for curiosity's sake. The special cost $9 and was comprised of salad, bread, prime rib and side. The salad was a little "American". Iceberg, cherry tomato and cucumber. The veg and bowl were cold, so, it was pre-prepared. That killed any flavor it would have had. The veg were all fresh though. The blue cheese dressing they buy had big chunks of cheese in it. The bread was pressed and buttered and cut into strips. The spread was a little off. Either butter stored uncovered in the fridge (absorbed odors) or margarine or something. The prime rib is something I usually avoid because I find it fatty and slimy. They grilled theirs with a rub and that was something I approve of. (and never have seen). It was a long, thin cut. The only problem was that it was one third total fat. All of one end. You couldn't trim that? Probably why it was on the special menu. It came with a sauce it didn't need. They called it Hunter sauce. It was a dark gravy topped with fried onions and cauliflower. For a side, I chose mac and cheese. It was a huge bowl full. A little bland and thin for my taste. Maybe they used skim milk? Or they didn't drain the pasta well? They put some cheese on the top. That helped. It came in a metal tin. The app I settled on was chimichurri beef skewers. They cost $8. I thought they would be strips of flank. They (2) were cubes (4) of a better cut. I couldn't eat them there (too full), so, I tried one cube and then wrapped them up and nuked them the next day. They were good. Even after a wait and an x-ray. No fat. Sauce was good. The menu is small enough to be managed. They have T-bones and filets, etc. They have sandwiches and burgers. They have other meats (ie gator). They have soups and salads. The wine selection was better than I expected. They have a wine display area in front. They have flights of beer. You know that's fancy. Prices are in line. Service was fast and polite. It seats about sixty. Only four others were there at lunch. It is an open floor plan with room between tables. It has a Western motif. I believe a piano man performs nightly. Parking was ample. Informal dress code. I wasn't sure if it would be have "airs". It doesn't. It isn't STK, but, it isn't Texas Roadhouse either. If that is the scale from one to ten, then it is like a seven on the fancy meter. If they lose things like the Hunter Sauce and used fancier salad greens, it would make them more "respectable". However, I'm sure their target market would rather not see that. I enjoyed what it offers and loved the value. Let's see that more than the average viewership of this blog is seated by the time I return.

No comments: