Sunday, January 12, 2020

Shaka Donuts, SoDo

I tried this debut donut shop on Michigan, one block east of Orange, yesterday in the morning. They opened on January 1. Although it sounds Polynesian, it is a CF ideation. I had a Samoa (Caramel icing with toasted coconut and chocolate drizzle) and a Black Sand Beach (Oreo Cookie "sand" on vanilla icing). Both cost $1.65. Bargains! They serve a "cake" (unleavened) donut underneath. The fluffy kind is in the works. They spit them out of a machine into oil before your very eyes. This means they are super fresh. And warm and soft. They also "top" them to order. This slows things down. The work space and work force may be too small if they blow up. Worth it though. Maybe they can redesign? They have a host of "fun" donuts. Six icings (chocolate, vanilla, caramel, cream cheese and two others I'm flaking on). They also top with peanut butter and cinnamon. They all have nick names. There is a Buddy Dyer. I stayed away because I thought it would be slimy and/or have pock marks in the dough. Maybe a trendy gray sand coating. Toppings are things like Reese's Pieces and Fruity Peebles. They also have breakfast sandwiches and coffee. A soda was only $2. The place is small. Modern. It was full. I checked in because traffic on I4 scuttled plans to go further west. I'm glad the Ultimate Lifetime Employment Project did it's thing and rerouted me here. It will be the first to be on the 2020 Favorites List. What was that thing Ali G used to say? Shak-shimas? Anyway. Shaka Khan (I know that's a mis-spell). Shaka Zulu. And shaka your ass over here for same damn fine donuts. I Just Can't Shaka My Love.

No comments: