Friday, October 1, 2021

Grub Crawl - New Smyrna Beach: Wake Up North, Island Roasters Coffee, Mason Bar and Touch of Italy

 I went to these places two weeks ago around lunch. The first three are on the road from downtown (on the mainland side) before the drawbridge to Flagler Ave. The second is in the strip mall with the Sentry Management offices (if you take the larger bridge and follow the road to the right).

Wake Up North - This is location two. I believe I reviewed the original. It is in the strip mall with the Publix on the beach side. Near Limoncello. I had Eggs Azules (bacon, blue cheese, spinach and tomato) for 11. They were good. Fresh veg. Properly timed fried eggs. Came with home fries and an English muffin. They offer waffles, ft, pancakes, eggs, sandwiches, soups, salads and lomito. The place has a South American vibe. Open four years here.

Island Coffee Roasters - I just grabbed an iced tea for the beach for $2 on the coffee side. They also have a separate area with sandwiches.

Mason Bar - I grabbed a tajin and lemonade popsicle for $4. Tajin is the chili and lime spice mix some places put on a Margarita. Or so they said. It was fine. They also sell acai bowls and drinks. 

Touch of Italy - I grabbed a pretty awful veal parm sandwich with chips at the $7 lunch price and ate it for dinner. Very tough. Cheese had no flavor. Average sauce. Carrots? Burnt hero. Typical Italian menu. The kind of place with a map of Italy place mat. Dark room. Guy who made (warmed) it was listening to heavy metal. Somehow open for 32 years. 

*There was one other place near the first three. Dough Girl. Didn't open at 2:30pm like the sign said. So I bailed. Saw another new place downtown on the mainland side. Something in Spanish. On a side street. Not open yet. Will fill you in some day.

**I just returned from Nantucket. I did four places today that I will break into three posts (probably M/W/F next week) and do a travel notes on the last one.

No comments: