Friday, October 8, 2021

Nick Filet, Sand Lake and Dr Phillips *Nantucket Travel Notes

I tried this franchise in the old Lemon Shark Poke spot in the strip mall at the intersection of Sand Lake and Dr Phillips last Friday. They seem to think that slicing beef is a step too far. They sell sandwiches of beef loin. I suspect the "loin" is an inferior cut that qualifies as loin. Like the one you would get at a Sizzler et al. Needless to say, it was weird. A hunk of beef an a Kaiser roll. I had a classic for $12. It had some immemorable cheese and sauce. Too much. Sloppy. They had around four or five (predictable) styles. Call me crazy, but, I prefer my loin on a plate with a side of veg. It was also too expensive. They also sold another thing I prefer not to be in a sandwich. Lobster. Also, too expensive. Now around $25 and they said the cost was going up. Not that I would really trust a lobster sale in Orlando at a sandwich shop anyway. At best, it would be just pre-prepped, shell less, boiled, undersized lobster. They are out of Philadelphia. I asked and this "loin" thing isn't a Philly staple. They opened 4 months ago. Mostly open space. Spartan. Order at a counter place. 

*Travel Notes - Nantucket: I'll skip the sites and the commentary as I suspect you don't really read this section and are unlikely to travel here. Just the basics. Everything here costs double what it would anywhere else. Had a turkey and Swiss with a pathetic (well a little commentary) bun at Henry Jrs. At Millie's, I ordered striped bass tacos (that cost $24 for two) and there was no way they delivered striped bass. Maybe cod. Or worse. Overcooked too. Had an egg and bacon and cheese sandwich from Wicked Island Bakery. Had brownie batter ice cream at Jack & Charlie's. Had good swordfish tacos at 167 Raw food truck. At Nantucket Provision, I had the Terrific Turkey sandwich that Alex Guaranaschelli placed on The Best Thing I Ever Ate. Now, I've tried a few of the things on this show and I'm starting to think that they get kick backs or are pimping a friend's place or don't get out much. It was a Thanksgiving riff. CB sauce and stuffing. It was ok. That's all. At Nativ Made I had a chicken, rutabega, potato, etc Pasty. Chicken salad at Corner Table Cafe. Cheese and bacon cruffin at Born & Bread Bakery. Also a loaf of sourdough and focaccia. Very fresh fish (cod) and chips and ff at Town. Udon with shrimp at Bar Yoshi. Stewed chicken and rice and beans at Stubby's. Godfather (pep, salami, cap) sandwich at Walter's. Chicken salad and smoked blue fish pate at Green Market. Pizza at Sophie T's. Donuts at Downyflake Doughnuts. I ate at the cheaper joints. Price avoidance. IE - a tiny sushi place called Lola's had an app of salmon (a cheap fish) carpaccio at $50. Two interesting things I saw at a place called Gaslight were: pig ear salad with crispy egg and a burger with black garlic cheese. Flew on Jet Blue (delays each way and not weather related) through JFK. Just over $213. Didn't stay in hotel. They seemed to start at $300 (on week days). There is a bus that drops people around the island. Car rentals too.

No comments: