Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Melao Bakery, Florida Mall Area

I tried this Latin (probably Puerto Rican) restaurant on S OBT and Consulate Dr last Friday at lunch. It's just past the Florida Mall and Sand Lake and 529 or 526 (I'm confusing myself). Traffic here sucks. The name has a Spanish and a Portuguese translation. I assume the Spanish is the one we want. It means heart of honey. It's melon in Portuguese. I saw it when I was looking for Moroccan Breeze a few months back. I thought it was just a bakery. They have that too. I ordered a la carte. Funny that they don't use (or there isn't an equivalence) a Spanish term. I tried the Mofongo with Chicken Cracklings for $10. Just trying to try something off script. For some reason I was just expecting fried chicken skins on top. I forgot that what they call skins (chicharron) are actually pieces of chicken. That justified the price a bit more. I liked it. The chicken was a little dry. It was fried of course. The mofongo (fried mashed plantains) was tasty. They have a LARGE menu. Breakfast (5), burgers (4), baked potatoes (6), hot cereal (was intrigued by those), sandwiches (26), salads (4), plates (8), mofongos (10) etc. Reasonable pricing. They also had a buffet. Not sure how much. It seemed like they decided at the register based on what you ordered. Too dicey for me. It was pretty full. Quite a few gringos too. Pretty big cafeteria like space. I was glad I finally tried it. Pain in the ass getting out of the parking lot. One of the main toll roads is between you and S OBT. The original is in Kissimmee.

No comments: