Saturday, December 31, 2022

Grub Crawl - Millenia and Downtown: Isan Zaap, Craft & Common and Taco Kat

I tried these places at lunch on Wednesday. The first is off I-4 and the first road on the left (past the Super Target and that Pho place I tried this summer to a new build area on Gardens Park Blvd.). About two roads in. I think there was a Costco diagnol to it. The second is on Robinson St downtown near the ax throwing place. The last is in the old Cleo's Lounge spot across from the library (behind and over from Wall St).

Isan Zaap - Isan/Izan is a region in Thailand. I believe north. East? Zapp is the name of a hot Jewish girl with huge twelve year old tits at my summer camp who dumped me when I came back to camp without passing puberty. What zaap is is unclear. I think one of their soups was called zaap. But I don't think it means soup for some reason. I've been stymied on this one since the Spring. I didn't drive far enough twice before. I thought it was Middle Eastern food at one point. Well today, after not finding option one, I got myself sufficiently lost to be near here and I gave it a go again. Glad I did. Will be on the Favorites list. Not just because of adequate food or ambiance, but, because it is a little different. Sadly, that still gets a place points from me. Like the judges on most cooking competition shows that I criticize, I love a newish experience. They are Northern Thai. Not the first in these parts. But rare. I had the Boat Noodle Soup for $15 because it was in the recommended section of the menu and I wanted soup for my ailing tum tum and it reminded me of when the Vietnamese (and Thai?) used to be called boat people. It just made me laugh thinking about how much pearl clutching that would illicit today. Oddly the Northern Thai soup was pho like in construction and flavor. A sweet and sour brown (beef?) consume like broth, rice noodles, those gummy meatballs (pork - you could also have beef), bean sprouts, stems from some vegetable (possibly brocolli), chicken, kale and liver (pork). Except for the kale (maybe it was another leafy plant), liver and stems, it was a pho. A real mish mash. Like all the things they put in their other dishes in a soup. I liked it. The liver was the best. Good contrast with the broth. And odd/new. Obviously the meatballs and noodles had no flavor and an odd mouth feel like always. Chicken was dry. Ohh! It also came with lots of chicharron (fried pork skin). Not sure what they call them. I saved most for future microwaving. They also had larb. And larb with liver. Curries. Toms. Papaya salad. Seafood (fish, squid, etc). Pork neck. Custard sticky rice. Etc. A decently manageable menu. Most things under $20. Black and gray walls. White acoustic tiles. Wood tables and chairs. A couple of flower murals. 12 tables (mostly fours). Open kitchen in the rear. Not high end. Not a dump either. Almost full. Mixed crowd. Most dishes seemed generous. Open 11-9pm. I believe they opened just under a year ago.

Craft & Common -  I'm not sure if I tried them for you before or not. I remembered at least walking in a guffawing at the prices last time. Went back because of that Edible list. Grabbed a $4 Malawi tea because I've never had anything from there (unlike Madonna). It was a good tea. They also sell a decent amount of food. And it looked pretty appealing. Lots of beverages too. Most had exotic pedigrees (or good marketing bs). An open plan, white interior. Filled with youngins. Open for four years. New owner though. Changed a few things. 

Taco Kat - Sonoran food. T's, Q's and B's. I grabbed a barbacoa taco for $5. The beef was tough and stringy. Good flavors. Warm spices. Possibly nutmeg or cinnamon. Ok toppings. Tortilla seemed fresh. Also came in chicken thigh, beef rib (asada), pork and possibly one other. These options extend to the other "holders". They warned me (and this pissed me off further originally) that the portions here are small. Actually seemed slightly larger than most places. At least the taco. Still a bit high. This is the only location. Modern, white interior. Order at a counter. They have a secret speakeasy behind a fake coke machine. However, the entrance isn't through there for some reason. It's in the back. You have to get a password (online I believe) and reveal it there. Both are open to 3am. All days except M and W I think. It should become popular. Opened three months ago. Wish their barbacoa was a bit more tender. Would have made the Favorites List too. Get back taco kat.

No comments: