Thursday, December 29, 2022

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Capital Tacos, Grounding Roots, Sushi Sake and Slidders

I tried these spots on Tuesday night. The first is on University Blvd and Goldenrod. Near Fullsail University The second is north on Goldenrod to Aloma and east to the strip mall that has Twisted Root Burgers. The third is in the old Boston Market at Lee Rd and N Orlando Ave (17-92). The last is actually in Maitland. Farther north on N Orlando to that condo complex next to Publix. I intended to do a UCF centric one, but, Capitol was way farther away than I thought and Bacon Bitch may have the record as the quickest place to ever get three strikes. Maybe someone else can give me a reason to rethink it. I'll wait.

Capital Tacos - They are out of Land o' Lakes (Tampa). If you recall when Taco Bus (Tampa) tried to "chain out" and failed by UCF, this will be a repeat. Crazy (inauthentic white guy) abominations. Taco, q's, burritos, etc. I settled on a Big Kahuna. Nothing cries La Raza like Hawaiian themed tacos. It was worse than you'd think. A nearly fishless fish taco. I think they should get an award for most batter stuck to a nullity. The tortilla didn't seem grilled/warmed. Typical mess of toppings and mayo based sauce. And each cost $5. And they are the cheap items. It's a fast food set up. Overstaffed. Empty except for two stoners. Two pinball machines. Adequate seating. Open for a month.

Grounding Roots - A health food place. Listed in that Edible issue. Shots, smoothies, salads, etc. Only the smoothies aren't pre-made and waiting in a refrigerator. I grabbed a chia pudding for $6. It was the cheapest thing. Actually damn tasty. Almost went with a pro-biotic shot to counteract the gastro issues I believe Smokey Jay's pork gave me on Saturday. I guess fresh pork shouldn't be "sticky". They said that either they had or have a place in College Park. I wonder if I alredy tried them? In this tiny location for three years. Wonder if I tried them here when I did Twisted Root? It didn't come up when a searched it. I probably bypassed because of price. If I saw it.

Sushi Sake - A chain from Miami. 20+ locations they said. I now recall seeing them on US 1 down to the Keys and in Key Largo. Glad I didn't waste my time on those. The problem is value. The menu (for say nigiri) looks normal. Around $5 per fish, etc. However, that's for ONE piece. A half sized California hand roll was $6. Same crappy surimi. Ok avocado. Rice was a bit too toothy and cold. No justification for the price. They are in a Boston Market. In a weird part of town. Hidden by foliage. There are a billion, established, cheaper, equivalent quality, popular sushi places in town already. I'm not sure how many morons they think there are in CF that have to have their "karate". I suspect they will fail. Open for a week. Ok, modern interior. They have hibachi/katsu stuff too. But, even the lunch "specials" on those items were mid to high teens. The lunch sushi platter was $36. Most places have sushi specials around $10. They have some rolls specials just above that, But, I'll bet it's one roll not two or three. 

Slidders Pizza - I rejected the thought of stopping here last week. After seeing it. They looked very Marco's like. An outside super chain. Sort of glad I decided I didn't have enough dinner yet and stopped again. It looks higher end inside. White marble. Modern. Digital menu board. Gelato. Wine. They also sell wings and stromboli and calzones amd pastas, etc. Prices seemed a bargain after Sushi Sucky. I grabbed the second smallest pizza with four topping for $14. 12 inch. It wasn't too good. I've tried it warm, heated and cold. Saldly, cold was the best. Possibly conveyor belt pizza. No crust. Dough was too buttery and sweet. That pastry kind some people seem to not hate. Not a terribly firm bottom crust when I flicked it. No color either. Sauce was spicy. Clashed with dough. Cheese was tasteless. Sausage (meatloaf like) and pepperoni were ok. Mushroom and onion got lost in some kind of herb sprinkle that I think they put on pre-bake. So, it burned and gave off bitter overtones. Not a disaster, but, could be better. I wouldn't write them off. The name is the past tense (in someone's mind) of slider. As in, to slide a pizza into the oven. Open for three months. They said their original location is in Winter Garden.

*I will have so many season ending posts that some will run into next year if I give you a day or two to digest them. Favorites will also bleed into next year.

No comments: