Sunday, February 12, 2023

Crocante, East Colonial (50) *AL/LA/FL Travel Notes

I settled on this higher end (priced) Puerto Rican play last Friday at lunch. Plan A and B disintegrated before my eyes. It is in a strip mall closer to 436 (across from the Executive Airport). It means crispy. I tried the porchetta sandwich with one side (I chose arroz blanco y habichuelas) to go for $15. It's not Italian porchetta. It is chunks of tough pork cut into cubes. They are not conducive to being in a sandwich. The only thing that saved it from being tossed in the trash was that I ripped up the chunks (a few too many were just gristle or fat) into bite sized morsels and put them (and the white rice) in the left over stew I took home from Kabob King. How halal is that? There was another container of some sauce that held the peas. They looked like beans. It was ok.. The bread was ok. They put cheese and a salad mix on it. It was supposed to come with chichurron. There were two gristly pieces that they might consider chichurron in there. The rest of the menu was platters and mofongos and rotisserie meats and other things. All high teens or higher. I'm glad I didn't pay the premium to try them out. The place is one huge, open space. 22 tables, 14 seats at the bar in the back and three 12 seat communal tables in front of that. Wood accents. Kitchen at the rear on the right. They seem to be prepping a to go (deli style) counter on the right. Service took to long. They said they had a soft opening three months ago. But, they said they are planning a real grand opening in the future. It was mostly empty at 2pm. I wouldn't go back. The overly loud music they subject you too gives reason enough to pass.

*Travel Notes - Alabama/Louisiana/Florida: I rented a car from Budget for $316. Drove Orange Beach AL. Stayed at the Sleep Inn for $134 (rack rate). Went to the Flora-Bama bar on the border. It's always packed. Must be famous. They have a bunch of businesses there. Ate a very good Conecuh (place in AL) Sausage Po Boy at Flying Harpoon (on 3D). Drove to New Orleans. I was going to stay here for a while, but, the idiot weather people scared me with forecasts of storms that never came. I booked stuff in Florida instead. I grabbed great Boudin eggrolls at Piece of Meat in Treme (on 3D) and saw a good bar (Bayou Beer Garden) behind it. PoM said they changed the direction of the place since the 3D episode. It's now fancier. Drove into Garden District and grabbed a great head cheese taco and hand held chicken (so tender) pot pie at Turkey and the Wolf (on 3D) off Jackson St. Stayed at St Charles Coach House (a Choice hotel) on St Charles for $118 a night plus $15 parking. Ate two eggs with house fries and toast breakfast at Surrey's Cafe (on 3D) off Terpsichore. Walked into town (with a jacket I ended up not needing) in 80 degree heat to Antoine's off Bourbon on St Louis. They invented Oysters Rockefeller. After some mental turmoil, I selected the Oysters Foch instead. These are corn meal fried oysters (small or cut up) on foie gras covered toast with a cherry wine reduction. An interesting combo. Reduction was not needed and too liberally applied and goopy. I also tried the a good Duo potato bisque (potato and cheese) and Paneed (sauteed) Gulf Fish (they said Drum) in a beurre blanc with artichokes, cherry tomatoes et al. This may have been the least good and most expensive meal of the trip. Total outlay $55. It is an institution though. Ask to sit in one of the back rooms. The front room is for suckers. Luckily some locals hipped me to that jive. I walked backed and finally tried the WWII Museum for $33. It was fine. I walked around Magazine St in the Garden District and had a cider at Tracey's Original Irish Channel bar because it was very hot and it said it opened in 1940 something. No other reason. Drove back to the north side of 10 around Tulane Ave in Mid City to Marjie's (on 3D). This was the worst area I drove through (fyi). The others were ok. Most north of 10. I had the Cambodian Crab (apple slices) Salad to go. They had less of an Asian menu than I expected. Parking was hard and sketchy, so, I didn't dare eat in. I drove to Liuzza's by the Track in Esplanade Ridge (off Esplanade Ave) the next day for gumbo and a half (still huge) oyster (entire large) po bay. Both were great. The gumbo is supposed to be top notch. I don't love it in general. This was probably the best and freshest I've had. I met the guy who makes it. His name was Roadrunner. He was being interviewed (by Bon Appetit?) while I was there. And this place is a shack. This was on some show with some guy named Misha Collins (Roadfood). I then drove to the Raceway (horses) because it was right there. I then drove back to Orleans (missed the turn earlier) and grabbed a great two piece fried chicken meal with a side from Dooky Chase. This is a famous civil rights landmark. I even just saw a repeat of a Julia Child episode where the old owner cooked this with Julia. I felt a little underdressed, so, I got it to go. I drove a long way too Gainesville so I could try Spurrier's Grid Iron Grille finally. I had the Chicken Marsala with mp. They have all his memorabilia there. Roof top bar. I stayed at the Hom for $103. Went the next day to Kanapaha Botanical Garden (on SR 24) for $10. Drove down 75 to Treasure Island (just N of St Pete Beach). Stayed at the Sea Jay Motel for $123. Had salad and coco cashew encrusted mahi over bananas with a side of baked pastry encrusted potatoes and chocolate crust key lime pie at Snappers (AAA Magazine article). Only $22 (4pm menu) including a generous tip. Everything was great except the salad. Huge piece of fish. Walked the beach at sunset. Drove the next day through St Pete and visited the Sunken Gardens for $15. I knocked quite a few restaurants and oddities off my to do list on this one. Doing road trips because I'm being thwarted by high air or hotel prices, flight delays/cancellations and scary weather. I also saw something interesting at Publix in St Pete Beach. Astin Farms Berry de Blanc (White Strawberries/Pineberries).

No comments: