Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Park Avenue Tavern, Winter Park *DC Travel Notes

I tried this new (1 week) American restaurant in the old Dexter's space in Hannibal Square on Thursday at lunch. I was there for Piano Cafe, but, switched when I saw they had finally opened. Maybe a wrong move? No biggie. Will try Piano in a few days. You didn't really feel that it was a soft opening. I heard some mention of an area being closed for work. And my knife wasn't clean. However, my service and food were fine. Although, I did only order a Cobb Salad. The menu was dull and filled with things I had eaten recently. Plus my tummy wanted some avocado. The salad was more 'Spring Mix-y" than usual. Not overdressed. Acceptable blue cheese crumbles and bacon. Nicely done "medium" yolked egg. Avocado could have been scooped with more finesse. The one problem was that they printed it on the menu at $16 and it was $19 on the check. They "fixed" it for me. Not sure which side the error resides. Just watch your bill for other "soft opening" mistakes if they don't address it. The menu had two steaks, burgers, orecchiette, salads, soups, salmon, quinoa, fish and chips and sammies (ie chicken, pork banh mi, turkey for example). Mid teens and up (especially for the steak). The menu is the same for lunch and dinner. 8 booths on both windowed walls. Some tables and hightops mixed in. A bar with sports on. Lots of hooch. Brass. Black pleather cushions. Stained wood. Cloth napkins. Seasoned host. Place was nearly full. Lots of guys who look like they went to school in state and own a 500k fishing boat. It was like the Naked Man. It gives you exactly what you need. Nothing more and nothing less.

*Travel Notes - Washington DC: I used an expiring credit on Jet Blue and cut a $168 flight to Ronald Reagan to $118. I've seen it as low as $98. Not sure the time of year though. And this was a less than a full week trip that didn't start or end on Tuesday. They are having an early Spring and cherry blossoms are due mid-March this year. I saw some (plum trees I think) this trip. Weather was good. Walked around in a sweat shirt. Little rain. Left out of new Terminal C. That is JB's terminal now. It was a pain finding the train to C. Plus that JB was now located there because they just took their name off the other Terminal signs and didn't put up a C sign. Go to B side where people arrive next to the TSA line. Go through those people. Then it is quite a walk from the offloading stop (through a parking garage) to ticketing. The benefit is (although it will probably change and the TSA tries to keep lines long by opening fewer lanes) that there are less people getting cancerous x-rays over here. I took the Blue Line (FYI - limited to one track because of construction. Yellow Line is off) Metro in DC to McPherson stop ($2 on weekends and $2.40 off peak plus $2 initial re-usable card purchase fee). It was safe. I stayed at the Architect on L and 15th (near White House) for $632 for four days (starting on a Saturday). It was the cheapest by a hundred dollars on Booking. Though, they added a 3% credit card fee AFTER booking that took it from $612 to $632. They hotel had thin walls and windows. Lots of noise. Good location. I should tell you that I lived here for one miserable years and hadn't been back. I came to knock off the remaining national monuments, etc off the list. Things that I bypassed or were built since I left. I ended up doing that and revisiting most of what I did before. Too much to write about. Get a map and point your finger. I saw that. All the way up to the Cathedral and over to Georgetown and all around. I had a great time. Everything was free. Got "museumed out". Quite a feast for the soul. Went back to Ben's Chili Bowl for a Original Half Smoke. Went to Old Ebbitt's Grill (icon) for oysters and a cb with fries. Bumped into Rice Bar (near Sculpture Garden of the Art Galleries) while starving for chicken curry rice with karage. Had barley tea for the first time. In Georgetown (my old hood) saw Sequoia, Clyde's and The Tombs again (St Elmo's Fire kinda). Most other places were gone. Had a tiny blah Double Chocolate Birthday cupcake at Georgetown Cupcake. Had an ok (only $21) lobster roll at Georgetown Seafood. Had a good falafel across the street at Falafel Inc. Only $5! They had signs inside that said USA Today top sandwich and Yelp Top 100 restaurants. We need them here. And proof that what I've been telling you is true. Everyone is charging twice what they have to. Ate Chipotle twice and McD's once. I was too tired to get dinners. Except Ebbitt's. Great trip. Got the opposite of stink eye from the ladies. Although, they aren't they greatest lookers. Part of why my year there was miserable. It's close and cheap and safe and walkable. Felt like being in another country. You should go before it gets too hot. I also finally tried (unrelated) those white strawberries (pineberries. Like unsweet strawberries.

No comments: