Thursday, February 9, 2023

Kaya, Mills and 50 Area

I tried this upmarket Filipino spot on Thornton Ave (1 block west and south of Mills and 50) on Thursday for dinner. It had a line. But, with some effort, I convinced the hostess to let me have the sole bar seat (of 9) available. I argued that all the people ahead of me were couples. That and a check with the owner won the day. The place is small. A converted house. There is a large outdoor waiting area in front that seems like a wasted opportunity. The bar area is on the front left. Open kitchen in the center rear. Tables (6-7) on the right. Light gray paint. A few decorations. Quaint. The menu is equally modest. 2 apps. They ran out of the toro. 5 mains. 2 desserts. 1 side (garlic rice for $5). Portion sizes were in between apps and mains. A fairly nice (pricey) wine selection. Quite a few cocktails. I tried the Adobong Kabute (mushrooms) for $15 and the Pancit Sotanghon (mung bean noodles) for $16. They also had a tile fish terrine (which I was talked out of by a diner), bistek and one other that I forget. I didn't do the toro because it was $20 and what can you tell about the kitchen's abilities by such a dish. I could have done one main and the rice (they scolded me that you must eat rice with a main in Filipno cooking), but, I wanted to sample. The mushrooms (3 types) came with three types of adobo. A spicy red one (not very) atop cauliflower, a tan creamy one on the bottom and a third in the middle that I can't remember. Good flavor. Fresh ingredients. A bit salty. There was also some crunchy purple vegetable loitering around. Turnip? I can't recall if I've had mung bean noodles before. These (if they all aren't) were very thin and sticky. I almost couldn't swallow them if I grabbed a fork full with out the veg with it. Kept sticking to the back of my throat and choking me. As stated, it had julianned root veg on top. And a poached egg on top. I liked the vibe. Everyone was very sociable and attentive. They didn't have a dress code. The kitchen didn't seem to be overwhelmed. They said they soft opened in November. However, it seems like they have truly been open just recently. I found free parking on the street. I'd recommend it to all. I believe the dishes reflect the Northern areas of the Phillipines. 

*Driving around Thursday, I noticed a few things. I don't know how the lack of parking around Moderne will not effect its (and neighbors) bottom line. It's a S show. Was before. Now even worse. The Wellborn Hotel's restaurant/bar is very hard to find. Beneath and in between the two overpasses that branch off I-4 and 408. They also are only open after 5pm and on weekends during the day. Seems like there is no free parking there either. And the menu seems dull. House of Mac down in Sodo had a sign that said they were not open as of the day the put up the sign. Did the open and close? Hasn't it been a year since they were supposed to open? Solita Tacos is where Wahlburgers used to be. Pigzza still seems nowhere close to opening.

No comments: