Thursday, February 16, 2023

Grub Crawl - Downtown: The Wellborn, Solita Tacos and Tacos My Guey

I tried these spots on Saturday at lunch. The first is on North Lucerne Circle under the 408 in a hotel. The second is in the old Wahlburgers on Church St and South Orange. The third is a few blocks north next to Neon Beach on Orange.

The Wellborn - Alot of bother for more Snack Food Nation. They say parking is only for guests. But, one group said they ignored that jive. The public spots under the highway were all empty. But, signs said you needed a pass. Few other options. I parked in my special spot blocks away and walked. They make you order and pay up front from your phone. I bitched about it and got them to do it normally. The menu is limited. Like ten items. Brunch (only weekends) and dinner menu are almost the same. I had a Cuban sandwich with a fried egg for $15. A greasy mess. Greasy toasted white bread (not pressed). No ham. Roast pork. A bit dry. Mayo. Rubbery, overcooked, tasteless fried egg. I had a better quasi-version of this later on at dinner (wait for next post) for half the price. The menu has things like sliders, beignets, brie grilled cheese, french toast and empanadas. Priced around what I paid for the sandwich. $5 sodas. $6 coffees. They were reconditioning rooms at the hotel (noisy) that day. Plus too loud lounge music. Traffic noise. Some tables inside a house. Some around it. Some (8 tables) on the patio in front of it. About half full. Mostly gays and fat girls. Not the quickest delivery. Not worth the effort.

Solita Tacos - A California chain. Open for one month. Another needless Mexican Bennigans. Sadly I overheard some saying it is packed at dinner. I tried a "large" taco because it was the cheapest thing. A pork belly for $9. For one taco. Tortilla size was just regular size. Soft. The pork belly was (no exaggeration) 80% fat. And 100% tough and dry. A complete fail. Too salty and peppery. The tortilla was raw. Came with a slaw that tasted like catsup. The best thing about it was when the jalapeno killed my taste buds. They tacked on chips (with weird wagon wheel things mixed in) with a very garlic-y chipotle salsa. Humdrum menu. Overpriced. IE $12 for a burrito WITHOUT any meat. The space is a large, open, gray square. Bar on the right. Tvs. Solita means "alone". Avoid.

Tacos My Guey - They have another in Hunter's Creek. Should have stayed there. Replaced Bread & Wine. Open five months. I tried a chicken street taco for $2.69. Horrible. Bland, blanched balls of chicken. Like salad bar chicken. Not even warm. Tortilla was raw and cold too. The best thing about the meal was the salt and pepper packet in the take out knife and fork packet. I can use that later on. Typical options. You order on a touch screen. Some ok decorating. No one there. Internet says guey means "dude". Avoid.

*FYI - Twitter is charging for the increased character limit. So, I won't be moving platforms after all.

No comments: