Saturday, February 21, 2009

Journey's, Longwood - Closed

I had lunch at this highly esteemed restaurant in the Boston Market strip mall in Longwood on Friday. I had the Duck Confit on a bed of rice for $12. The duck meat was good if skinny drum and thigh (must be free range). The skin was not crisped at all. The chef said he was taught to do it this way. I don't eat the skin so it wasn't a problem, but, I've never seen a confit prepared this way. The rice was nutty in taste and texture (though not wild). It was paired with bits of lightly warmed vegetables (asparagus, squash, carrot). It came in a orange citrus sweet and sour sauce that had a little kick. I would advise eating the duck on it's own as the sauce overwhelmed it's flavor. The place surprises me for such a darling of the foodie circle. The menu was about 8 deep (4 salads, a burger, steak sandwich...). Nothing intruiging. Even the special was just a fried fish sandwich. The room at the entrance is always kept as if it is a store room. It makes it seem like they're constantly moving in or out. The place is small. There is nothing spectacular about it asthetically. Yellow walls with pictures of famous edifices (that I guess you would see on a "journey") and a black cieling with track lighting. The service was good and pleasant (2 for 32). The silverware was clean. The bread was fresh (served with tapanade in olive oil). It was fine not amazing. It was about 1/3 full. Mixed clientele.

I would suggest they clean up the space and push the envelope gastronomically. I like the fact that you turned the speakers away from the guests.

No comments: