Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sushi Tomi, Orlando - Closed

On Saturday night I had dnner at this tiny Japanese restaurant south of Sand Lake on John Young. I had the grilled mackerel (with soup and salad) for $12.95. I wasn't thrilled to have that as I don't think cooked food is a Japanese talent. However, I was forced to because they had only one sushi chef and he could not keep up with the overwhelming throng of customers (about 20) and was 45 minutes in arrears. That's why I showed my disappointment be ordering the nearly cheapest thing on the menu that I could stomach. Thankfully, another patron (who I think was the golfer Jonnie Miller) shared some grouper, snapper and tamago with me. The quality was good and the tamago showed expertise in it's preparation. My bar mate assured me this was the best sushi in Orlando and as he brought his own wine I have to assume he knows of what he speaks. Back to the mackerel. Nice size but lots of bones. Not too oily. It came with their cold, sweet mashed potatos, some beans and a bowl of rice. The place was small. It had watermarks on the cieling. The service was ok (except for the whole not being able to have sushi issue). Prices were reasonable. They seemed to have some off menu items.

I guess I would go back if I lived near there, but, as I don't I doubt I will be back.

No comments: