Saturday, April 11, 2009

Mi Cafetal, Altamonte Springs

I had lunch at this Dominican restaurant in Altamonte Springs (436 and 434 near Pilin Thai) on Thursday. I had the house special for a ridiculously low $4.99 (now granted it's probably undeclared but how is it Subway, etc that you can't do a lunch for under $8?). Thursday's special was either Ropa Vieja (shredded beef) or Chicken Stew with rice, salad and a soup! Did I say it was $4.99? The soup was a chicken stock with beans (lots). It was savory. The beef was not overcooked. The rice did have a metallic taste that I've experienced in a few Latin kitchens (not sure of the cause). The salad was a little unimaginative (part of a head of Iceberg cut in large juliannes and topped with a tomato. I'm not sure if it was dressed but if it was it was light. It wasn't like I had room for it anyway because I had to go sampling an empanada for $2.50 that I thought came with salt cod and crab, but that I am now thinking was cod or crab. I had the cod. It was fresh, non greasy and ok. The service was attentive (not much of a language barrier). Although it was service singular not plural. It may get backed up if there is more than the 3 that were there on Thursday. The only criticism (other than not taking Amex) was the loud island music. It's a little much when you have to shout your order to the waitress. This is a restaurant not a nightclub (especially at noon). The place is small (probably seats 25). It is aethetically challenged. But, if your looking for variety and value this is a great place. They do ambitious and varied specials every day (I'm talking pigs feet people)! The regular menu is quite large (I don't know how the poor cook keeps up with the demands). And how often do you do Dominican. I mean "come on". You know you want to.

No comments: