Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wilfredo's, Orlando - Closed

I had lunch at this sh-Italian restaurant on N. Orange on Monday. It was one step forward two steps back the whole meal. $9.95 for anything off the dinner menu - forward. Dingy little place and waiter who tried to seat me in between a bar and a storage closet - two back. Waiter who was perceptive enough to gauge my unhappiness with his evaluation of my seat worthiness by non-verbal cues - forward. Bringing me chicken instead of veal and boring salad - two back. Nice portion of cutlets - forward. Taste of egg wash and limp and congealed sauce - two back. Free (I think. I didn't have it.) garlic or regular bread - forward. $2.50 soda and not refilled - two back. You get the drift. The place is cramped. Everyone is sitting on top of each other in what looks like a Italian grand mother's tea room. The veal (chicken) francese was three pieces. I think the generosity was based on it's expiration date rather than largesse. I smelled funk on the ends of some of the pieces. The egg wash was misapplied so I experienced the pleasure of fried egg on some of the pieces. The sauce was cold. It reminded me of an association dinner. I wouldn't be surprised if the cutlets were cooked the night before. I can tell because the capers didn't have enough time to soften in the sauce. I almost forgot. It came with limp rigatoni in a tomato sauce. Mmmm. Just what compliments Francese - tomato sauce. It was just thrown in because they didn't want to prepare another dish to go with it. I think some of the problem stems from the owner. She isn't Italian (not that that usually matters anyway). She is Asian. And as such has the Asian penchant for thrift (see who waits for the choicest cuts to be purchased before weighing in at a meat or seafood market). This translates into poor ingredients, assembly line production and poor understanding of the types of cuisine they are trying to recreate. It's like Mexican Chinese food. They just don't get it right. I can't imagine how infuriated I would have been if I had paid full fare. And get some damn field greens or arugula for that salad. It comes in packages in the supermarket! Iceberg lettuce is for pets.

No comments: