Saturday, April 11, 2009

Punjab Palace, Winter Springs

I had lunch at this Northern Indian restaurant in Winter Springs on Friday (a slovenly strip mall on 434). I had the lunch special for $6.99! Again. I curse you - assembly line fast food enterprises and you mid-quality slop dispensers. It came with a green lentil, butter soup, rice, naan, rice pudding and choice of about 10 entrees. I had the butter chicken. It was like a tikka masala except extra creamy. It was very good, It had about seven sqaures of chicken breast. You can have it mild, medium or spicy. The soup was very rich. It came in a cup. Very nice. The naan was a little more crisp on the bottom than I've had before. But as I am not an Indian cuisine expert, I will just leave it at that. The rice was fine (maybe a tad over cooked and stirred - shredded skins). The rice pudding (I usually refuse dessert) was sweet and a little more cottage cheesy than a european rice pudding. The one criticism of the food would probably be the penurious serving of unrefilled soda at $2. The place is small (probably 20 seats). It has a strange orangeish colored interior and just a few Indian posters and some faux silk vines. It was clean. The service (1) was conscentious. They have a large dinner menu. On the downside I think I gained 5 pounds (there's a reason you don't see many skinny Indian women). The best secret about this place is that it is owned by the family that runs Punjab on I-Drive. Please try and find this place as the door knobs on the town's council has forbidden them from erected signage that would ultimately attract business. It must be because it's in such a great part of town that said signage would offend the aesthetic sensibilities of the inhabitants.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Punjab Palace of Winter Springs is very good. I am not an Indian Cuisine expert either but I must say I have had my share. The lunch special was massive and for the price it is well worth it. The butter chicken was fantastic and the Naan bread was just right. I would give Punjab Palace 5 stars.