Saturday, May 7, 2011

De La Vega, Deland

I had dinner at this modern Mexican restaurant on the main street in DeLand on Tuesday. I chose it over a hip, but, over priced restaurant around the corner and I'm glad I did. I had two tapas plates because they were so interesting. I had a plate of zucchini (they call it squash) that was hollowed out and stuffed with smashed plantains. It was then fried in a batter that reminded me of french toast batter. The eggs exhibited a consistency like string cheese. Perhaps it's a new alternative for lactose intolerant chefs? It was very tasty. Don't think french fry fried. It was lighter than that. They served four large pieces. I believe it was $7. I also had a serving (6) of cherry (red) snapper on mini tostadas with a topping of pureed walnuts and a piece of cherry. It was good. I believe it was $9. I would probably substitute out the snapper for a less gamy flavor. Really any light protein would work. I love the regional cooking of Mexico that incorporates nuts. The slight sliver of cherry added a great nuance of sweetness. There was also a drizzle of a sweet and sour sauce that worked well. I wish I had been more hungry because there were alot of interesting items that I passed on. They also have breakfast tapas and a full menu of ordinary fare like burritos and enchiladas. The place also doubles as an art gallery. It's in a cute little, windowed spot. It could use a little more AC. It seats about ten outside and 50 inside (two rooms). Only one other couple was there at 8pm. To be fair, most of the restaurants were empty or emptying at that hour. The service (1) was good and knowledgeable. I thoroughly advise you to make the journey here just for the food. The chef evinces some uncommon imagination and skill. You will be impressed. The style is based on the Mexico City area if I had to guess. The prices are reasonable. Most entrees are under $15.

No comments: