Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tibby's, Winter Park

Last Friday I had dinner at this New Orleans Kitchen from the people that brought you Tijuana Flats. It is in the strip mall near Mellow Mushroom on Fairbanks. I sat at the bar because it still had a waiting list at 9pm. I had the Chicken Pontechatrain (sp?) for $10. It was a large portion of slightly pounded chicken breasts (2) egg battered and sauteed. It was covered with a delicious "relish" of pickled carrots, olives, celery and tomato. It lay on a large serving of fluffy (buttered?) white rice. It was enough for two. And at $10 it was one of the more reasonable items on the menu. You would think the "relish" would overpower the light chicken and bland rice, but, it is the kick that pairing needed. A funky picatta. The menu has jambalayas, etouffes, remoulades, etc. Most of the greatest (only?) hits of this style of cooking. The left half of the menu is apps and entrees (about 15 together) and the right side is mostly po' boys. The place looks like a Mardi Gras museum. Lots of garish colors. It's fun if not authentic (franchise aspirations?). It seats about 80. The service (2 bartenders) was good. They have a patio/sidewalk and a bar area. It is always packed. It's one of life's mysteries. Who knew people went ape for bayou bites (obviously few because there are maybe 5 restaurants like this in the city)? It even gets children. I would have held my breath if my parents tried to feed me an oyster in remoulade sauce. Maybe they just love the ambience (they actually have "classic" choices for kids). In any case, you don't need me to tell you by this time that this place is a giant hit. I don't get it. But, it's semi-original. It is clean. It's alive. And it's new. So what if you can see the cookie cutter getting sharpened. Flats is a chain and I don't hate it. Give it a try and bring your camera to document the "original" when this goes global.

No comments: