Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chico's, Downtown

I had dinner at this Mexican restaurant on Central across from the museum in Downtown on Friday. I had 2 soft tacos for $7. The first taco was chicken with tomatoes, cabbage and shredded cheese. It was pretty decent. I don't love big squares of chicken, but, I can adapt. The second was a carnitas (little meats) which is shredded pork shoulder. It also had tomatoes, cabbage and cheese. This one had a lot of flavor. Cinnamon and maybe nutmeg. They were both well loaded and kept sanitary in a sheaf of aluminum. Both needed the table side hot sauce. They gave out complimentary chips and salsa. I was disappointed when I ordered because all of the fun stuff (short ribs, tongue, tripe) had been discontinued (yet not the menu that marketed them itself). However, I can say they delivered on what remained. It was a pretty small menu to begin with. Now it's basic. I think they have given up pretensions of being a restaurant and now just use food to service the bar crowd. It seats about 18 in tables inside the main room and maybe 1o at the bar. There is a hallway between it and Whiskey Dick's (that used to lead to the club behind it during some of its iterations) that seats about 20. A young crowd of all types. There were about 20 people there at eight pm. They have screens playing sports all over the place. The main room has two window view tables. The bar has a big, colorful menu mural that I believe lists their tequilas. It was hard to read quickly. There is a big iron tree in the middle of the main room that I swear I have seen in another restaurant. Is it new to the Ikea collection? The service was good. Maybe too good. I think they were expecting a bigger crowd. All in all I say it's a fine place to start the night out or have a cheap lunch. The prices are good. The room has some capacity to transport you. They have tequila. It's just a shame that what appeared to be an ambitious approach to Mexican cuisine did not seem survive the summer. Oh well, it's still better than another Tijuana Flats.

No comments: