Thursday, May 10, 2012

Briarpatch, Winter Park

I had lunch at this Park Avenue staple last week. It wasn't my first time, but, my first time in a long time. I had some sort of breakfast combo that had two pancakes, eggs, and sausage for around $10 (they kept the copy with the breakdown). They also added on $2.50 for toast that the waitress said was included. It wasn't. She said it was her first week so I didn't under tip her as punishment. Still, I love how restaurants gauge you on sides. Shameless. The eggs were scrambled. I forgot to indicate how I wanted them (fried) in the confusion of the ordering. They were ok. Seemed fresh. It's hard to gauge quality on a scrambled item. They were (what I call) "lazily" scrambled - allowed to sit on the the grill and then folded over. That's how you do omelets not scrambled eggs. The sausage was alright. A little to mealy (over ground like bologna) and bland. I prefer a coarser chop (where you can see the fat) and some spice. But, that's not what they buy. The toast was from a rustic kind of loaf. The pancakes were the best. I don't even like them as a rule. But, these tasted like a cross between light pound cake and sugar cookies. The insides were light, but, the outsides were crisp. It was if they torched sugar on them. I asked for the secret. They wouldn't reveal it. The place seats about twenty outside and thirty inside. It is supposed to resemble some antiquated southern country house (inside and out). The outside is a replica of a porch. Inside they try for a similar effect. I guess it is supposed to remind you of a time when women served comfort food and sweets to their family. The dishes are a little more food forward than that. The son of the original owner is now in charge and the menu has some insouciance to it. I can't recall if it has been updated (it has been to long), but, I feel safe in assuming that a younger overseer wouldn't just leave things as they were. The service was ok. We had some communication issues. The meal came out pretty quickly. There were plenty of servers per table. It's a tradition. It doesn't need my approval. It's not exactly the type of place I enjoy (except in an ironical way), but, it is unique. I don't love the selection (girl food), but, I can love watching the people who do. I think it is about 20% overpriced. However, that is because I am spending my money and not somebody else's. And I guess if you think of Winter Park as a tourist spot, it is in line with how they would overcharge you at any comfort food nook in Nantucket or Sanibel, etc.

No comments: