Thursday, May 10, 2012

Grub Crawl - Winter Park : Daily Express, Chung On, Bubbalou's (Closed)

I had lunch at these places on Lee Rd on Tuesday. Everybody knows where Bubbalou's is and the other places are across the street from that.

Daily Express - They call themselves a deli and grill. I had a roast beef sandwich for $5 (deli). It was bad. The roast beef was too peppered and plasticky. The rye was store bought, The veggies were tasteless (ie iceberg). It looked like a small, cute diner. I would expect that the grilled items were better. They do breakfast. Try them for those things. They close at 2pm.

Chung On - Chinese takeout. I had a shrimp stuffed egg roll (under $2) and wonton soup (under $3). It looked too scary to attempt more. It wasn't that bad. The soup had flavor and they were generous with the wontons (4). The eggroll wasn't greasy. It had two tiny shrimp in it (I was surprised to get that much). The place is tiny. Maybe the smallest takeout I have ever been to. They don't help matters by having their junk piled up near the counter. It smelled like fish. The menu is ordinary. I think these places place a pre-made takeout menu order and then try to learn how to cook those dishes.

Bubbalou's - Barbeque. I had a brisket sandwich for $6. It was ok. I just don't love sliced brisket. I want a hunk or thicker slices. Slicing it thin takes all the texture out. Plus they use a wet sauce to top it. I'm just over that and I think I'm over them. There are just too many better competitors now. I think I just go back here for nostalgia.

No comments: