Friday, May 11, 2012

Chianti's, Sanford

I went to this "pizza and pasta" restaurant on Towne Center Blvd today. I was pleasantly sur-shocked with the result. First off, you must know that it is near the Smokey Bones where a drive thru pizza place used to be (not in the Mall). Next, you must know it is very well thought out. It's not a four star spot. It's not adventurous. It is simply a sensibly envisioned restaurant. It is as if one of those restaurant fix it shows came in and fixed it before it opened. They repainted the room and added wainscoting to the walls. The color choices are earthy. The tables are black, simple, unclothed and cute. They could have been sensibly purchased at Ikea. The kitchen is humongous and open like before. They added booths to the wall that had the soda machine. They kept the counters by the side windows. They put up two adorable chalkboards (where they list specials/events). The table wear is rustic. Cloth napkins. They even "hid" the flat screen a little so it doesn't feel like a sports bar. Jazz and lounge music plays softly in the air. It seats about fifty. There were five sets of tables served while I was there. They have been open for two months. I only learned about them through some flier in the mail that offered a free bottle of Chianti if you came in (the waitress said something about a special with wine, but, it required you buy two dinners - see if it is a different special or if they are playing games). I wasn't sure if they did lunch. I'm glad I checked. The menu is pretty basic for an Italian restaurant. The usual appetizers (plus Italian chicken wings). Three soups. Four salads. Five sandwiches (includes a burger). Ten pastas. Ten entrees (including steak). Five desserts. And pizza (they say brick oven). Most things are under $15. They have craft beers. I didn't see the wine list. The lunch specials are really affordable. I had a turkey club (sub) with lettuce, tomato, mozzarella, bacon, and a basil mayo for $6 (I wanted one all week). I then had a Big Meat pizza (pepperoni, sausage, ham, should have had meatball) plus a field green salad and a huge soda for $7. Cheaper than Subway. The pizza was good. 12" personal size. It was thin. The toppings were good. I've had it hot, warm and cold so far. It holds up each way. Three slices to go. Can it survive the microwave? The salad was fairly good. The dressing could have been a little less old fashioned and the greens could have been fresher and could do without canned olives, but, it is moving in the right direction and better than you get most places. The service (1) was good. She seemed to care. I would have sworn she had some skin in the game, but, I heard her telling someone she just likes what they are doing and how they are doing it. I do too. The chef (I'm guessing owner) even came out to see how we all were enjoying our meals. I also heard them talking to some couple about caring for a cake they brought in for some event they are celebrating there later this weekend. The chef couldn't have been more accommodating. As if, the affordable prices, popular menu items, classic redecorating and tasteful embellishments weren't enough. I'm so glad I found this place. It is exactly what I think a restaurant should be. It is not a monument to someone's ego. It isn't tacky. It isn't provincial. It isn't thrown together. It is humble. It is tasteful. It is chic. It is well thought out. It's a perfect compromise of obsessive omnivorism with value. They seem to know what the trends are and smart enough to employ the right kind in the right measure. I wish them luck. This place is perfect to put into your weekly rotation or for a special event. If they supplement the "greatest hits" menu with a few ambitious specials I may fall in love. And remember, this was a review for a mid-priced Italian restaurant that I thought was a chain.    

1 comment:

Lake Mary Food Critic said...

I have eaten here a number of times now--almost a dozen, and love it. They have a great lunch special, $6.99 for a pizza (or will make it into a calzone or stromboli) or sandwich or salad with a drink. I always take some home. It's a great value. Love this place for dinner too.