Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fresh Box Seafood, Sanford

I had lunch to go at this seafood shop and fry house yesterday. It's in what used to be a vegetable market at the spot where they held a farmer's market on 17-92 (maybe they still do). I had fried oysters (6) with fried shrimp (5) and french fries for $6. The seafood was over breaded. About 2/3rds of the mass was air or breading. The seafood was of poor quality, but, didn't give me food poisoning. That was all that I was hoping for. The batter is probably their hush puppy batter. It was sweet. The french fries probably needed an extra two minutes in the fryer. They were woefully undercooked. The spot could be "industrially" cute. It is a big open, white space. They may have to improve the food to draw awareness and add on sales. However, since it is in the ghetto and run by Asians, I wouldn't bet on that approach. I think they will try and keep prices low to cater to the locales who have no sense of taste (or can't afford it if they do). I foresee another occupant (if any) in a few months. No one was there when I was there. As such, it's hard to tell if it is open. I initially drove by. They are also a little stubborn. I tried to sample the steamed crabs, but, they said I had to buy three pounds or none at all. How hard is it to put two fingers deep of water in a pot and cover it? It's just as hard to fry something. They had a decent selection of fish. I will not vouch for its' (or any fish at this point) freshness. They even sold odd pieces (heads, etc). They had charts that told you where they were imported from. I hope they do enough volume to succeed and keep quality acceptable. Maybe some pretentious locovores will eschew Publix for them for their fish needs. It does have the appeal of a stand alone market. I hope they have their line of bullshit ready when they are peppered with questions about the fish's "provenance". They have bben open for five months.

No comments: