Sunday, July 12, 2015

Grub Crawl - Altamonte Springs: Zora Grill (Closed) and Red Rooster (Closed)

I had lunch at these two newly opened places on 436 in between Ronald Reagan (rail stop) and 17-92 on Friday.

Zora Grille - Open for a month and named after the Zoroastrian religion of the Persian empire (the one without the suicide bombings), this is a new grill in a new building. I had a lamb "limousine" platter for $12 and a yogurt soda (doogh) for $2. The ground lamb was about ten inches long. They say 8oz. It was perfectly cooked and tasted like lamb, but not too gamey. I just got back from Norway and they offered up all kinds of sausages (including lamb) that tasted nothing like they were advertised as. The platter also came with a huge pile of saffron basmati rice, lavosh squares (instead of pita), a roasted tomato and two sides. I chose hummus and cucumber yogurt. The hummus was home made and I thought it had a fruity flavor that they said was probably impossible given the recipe. The cucumber yogurt was also good. Alot of cucumber and non-watery yogurt. The tomato was fine if unnecessary. They menu mentioned hot peppers with the dish. I didn't miss them if they were forgotten. The "limousine" designation is a term they coined for the shape of the meat. They do a beef one too. They also do two chicken (breast or thigh), one veggie and a ribeye and a strip shish kabob. Also two mixed platters. The prices start at $9 and end at $24. It's a small assortment. Hopefully, that means manageable. The owners (one family) are first timers. The place is a large square edifice with high ceilings. It's sparsely decorated with modern pieces. The furniture is reclaimed. The walls are some kind of pee green. You can see the grill. You order at a counter and they bring it to you. I'm not sure if a tip is expected (not automatic at the register). There were two tables eating at 2pm. One table was Middle Eastern. I was originally betting on a nation with a "stan" attached to it because of the prominence of the proboscises on the men, but, I would now wager they were also Iranian. I'd try it if you haven't had much experience with Persian cuisine or if you are used to the common Greek type menu. Nothing here should scare anyone. Closed from 2:30 to 5pm and on Monday.

Red Rooster - I think this is the fourth restaurant I've tried at this spot beside the gas station across from the light rail stop. Now it is a Philipino/Guyanan menu. It has been open for three weeks. I had a lunch platter for $6. It was a drum and thigh in Adobo sauce (soy, vinegar, ginger) with rice and a side. She really only had a few of the listed sides, so, she let me have a noodle dish as a side. I also had a fried wing (I thought I said 1pc, but, I think she was out of that too). The food was pretty good. Maybe too much breading and an odd spice on the wing. The rice was fresh and soft. The wife is Filipino and the husband is Guyanan (South America). The menu "lists" alot of Indian and West Indian dishes. Plus weird stuff like mac and cheese, pasta, corn bread and baked beans. The place is really for take out. This is an adventurous play. Probably not the highest quality meals, but, home made regional fare that you don't find on every corner. It's affordable.

No comments: