Saturday, July 25, 2015

Mark's Caribbean Cuisine, UCF

I tried this place for dinner in a decrepit strip mall off University and Dean Tuesday. I had a jerk pork meal to go for $6.50 ($5.50 on the menu and board) and a patty on coco bread for $3. The pork was great. Alot of it. Tender. Not too spicy. Good broth. I had enough left over to eat it with rice for dinner the next evening. It had some plain sliced bread with it that I used on a tuna sandwich the next day. The patty was probably from the frozen food section. The "meat" had the consistency of sludge. It reminded me of passages from William Burrough's Naked Lunch or de Sade's 120 Days of Sodom in which they talk about eating things from the "out" door. Coco bread was ok. Almost like a sweet roll. They have a big selection of traditional Jamaican fare. They have been in business for eight years. The ambiance of the place is nothing to write home about, but, I've seen worse/less clean. The high water mark for food is $15 for snapper. Most things are under $10. Their roti is just the bread not the whole sandwich.

No comments: