Sunday, July 12, 2015

Cafe Madrid, Curry Ford Rd

I ate lunch at this Spanish/Cuban restaurant almost two weeks ago. It is in a strip mall that has one of those ice cream drive thrus that looks like an ice cream. On the Crystal Lake side. I had the white meat Chicken Almondine for $10. It was good. The chicken was stewed in a salsa. Two pieces. Moist. On the bone. An orchard of almonds. It needed a bigger bowl. It came with white or yellow rice, plantains or tostones, red or black beans, a salad and bread. I chose yellow, tostones and red. I ate alot and still couldn't finish much of the beans or half the tostones and bread. All were flavorful. No problems. They pressed the bread ala a Cubano sandwich. Service (2) was quick and efficient. No language barrier. The place seats about fifty. I showed up way early (before noon) and around eight people came in while I dined. They have been there for 25 years. I would guess it is one of those situations in which the owners are Cuban and there is some Spanish ancestry that they are proud of. Most of the large menu is Cuban. The seafood section is the most "Spanish". I just saw that they also do a "late" breakfast plate and they do a Spanish Omelette. The entrees include multiple dishes of pork, chicken and beef. They have 5 sandwiches. They even do mofongo. The decor is ok. They have a little fake overhang around the bar. I had no complaints. Sometimes you have to worry about the higher priced dishes being treated ham handedly or the ingredients being second or third rate. I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

No comments: