Friday, July 24, 2015

Tapa Toro, I Drive - Closed

I ate at this new tapas restaurant aside the Ferris wheel two Wednesdays ago. It had been open for two weeks at the time. It has one major flaw. It's too damn expensive. I won't go off on how I feel about the value proposition of this type of dining and the acumen of the people who accept it, I will tell you they have a $120 steak. That said, I had a good lunch there (slightly lower price points). I had a fricase (their spelling) of pollo for $19, It consisted of smallish (I think Bell and Evans) quarter of chicken roasted with peas, potato, artichoke and cherry tomatoes. The chicken was cooked perfectly. And that's it. A $30+ lunch (tax and tip) that you can get at any Latin chicken joint for $6. Aside from a film crew, there were two other tables dining. One Brazilian family of ten and a single. The place seats 150+. Correlation between prices and diners? It's a conundrum because they obviously sunk a lot of money in the place. It looks great even with the unfortunate lack of depth (a real rectangle). That means they must have to bring in a lot of money to break even. I hope they can fleece the Brazilians because I think most others will avoid it (because of the prices). The front of the place has a circular room connected to a communal table/bar area. The bar area has those containers in which the Spanish pour a stream of wine into their mouths. The middle has the open grill and kitchen area and some seats. The back has the main room. The front is all windows. Which would be good if the view wasn't an unmowed lawn in front of I Drive. The interior design is nice. Copies of Picasso's, Miro's, Dali's, etc. A Gaudi Park Guell style use of ceramics. Some bullfighting stuff. Frames that have TV's behind them and look like a painting when the TV is off. The tables and chairs are new and I think they were brownish wood. I remember some red drapes. The menu is also a little common. All in all, I think Ceviche or Santiago's Bodego are better values. Take more risks. And those are just examples. I like their approach (the chef came out to see if the meal was good and the service was great and they source well), but, I just would rather not be wasteful with what beneficence fortune allows me. The soda was flat, the lunch menu was scant and parking is still free at the structure next to the restaurant.

No comments: