Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Grub Crawl - Thornton Park: Raw and Juice'd

I went to these two health conscious establishments yesterday because the one I wanted to cross off the list is now dinner only. I was down there to waste time before the Russell Athletic Bowl. I didn't go. It was too damn hot. Plus they wouldn't sell tickets to the upper bowl and the seats they wanted $67 for had no backs and were in the end zone. I really can't think of another stadium that closes off the cheap seats entirely. I wonder why their games are almost always empty. Way to lose out on all that non-ticket revenue geniuses. Looks great on TV too when you see an empty stadium. Really promotes the reputation of the city.

Raw - This place is next to Graffiti Junction down E. Washington. It's cookie cutter. However, I did learn two things by eating there. One. You can make a decent "chicken salad" wrap out of chick peas. Two. I now know why the MBA's at the cable, phone, theater, etc companies (basically any company losing market share) choose to soak their existing customers as their business model. They all are little twits whose parents eat at these places and shop at Whole Foods. They are conditioned to believe that you must fleece to survive. And of course rationalize it that morally this is more justifiable than some other "invented" injustice - like eating animals or income inequality of the owner. In this case, the fleecing was less obvious in the wrap. It was only $7. That's fair. What isn't fair is the prices for anything liquid. I'm not seven, so, I no longer need a disguised milkshake. It doesn't affect me. I just sick of people shelling out money they then bitch they don't have enough of on this crap. The wrap had raw, red onion and cranberries in it. It was fat. Service was good. They also refuse to print a receipt. How noble. You saved a tree, so, you can smoke it instead. The food isn't the only thing raw. So is the hypocrisy/inconsistency. They have been there for two years. Does that count as sustainable?

Juice'd - Here is another superfluous juice bar in a bar where at least three other superfluous establishments have already crashed and burned (on N. Summerlin near the 7-11). They don't have food though. It's liquid refreshment. Even more baby friendly baby food for adult babies. I bought a tasteless iced tea for about $2.50. That was by far the cheapest thing and I think most things were cheaper than Raw. I don't think they changed a thing from the crepe place that was here. I walked by here on Halloween and it wasn't here. They have been open some time in between then and now.


No comments: