Thursday, December 17, 2015

Lechonera El Jibarito #2, Orlando

I went to this new place (1 week) on 436 and 50 on Wednesday on my way back from the airport. Had some nice abalone, non-frozen King Crab (still sucks), hake, salmon in Chile, but whiffed on locating some red sea squirts and eel broth. Actually located them at the Mercado Central but was out of time and money by that point. Back to business. This is a Puerto Rican joint. An outpost of a place in Kissemmee (still can't spell it). My tum tum was still jet lagged and it was a surprisingly hot 87 degrees, so, I just grabbed a half pound of roasted pork for later, It cost $4.50 ($9/lb). It was great! I went to 4 Rivers later and I think I'd choose this in a taste off. Even versus their brisket. They gave me (I think) a sampling of the animal. A chop, a rib, some belly, some skin, and a tenderloin slice. That melange would have been welcomed enough just for the diversity, however, did I say it was great? Buttery, porky goodness. Not overcooked yet crisp. Different hues of meat and types of fat. If you like that.  I'll bet you can specify which part you want if your Spanish is better than mine. I'll try next time. Maybe it's not the best idea to have people who only speak one language on the front lines? You'd think that since it is a "territory" that they would learn a little English. Especially if they had aspirations to say - move to America! I wonder if we send them money for public education? Anyway. The place was pretty packed for 1pm and being so new. Mostly expats. Some gringos. It must have a following. The guy in front of me said he knew of the one in Kissammee (maybe that's correct. Hannukah and Kaddaffi are easier to sound out!). He must have liked it well enough to come here. They have a ridiculously cheap roasted chicken special ($4) during the week. It comes with sides. The menu is small enough to ensure quality. Mofongos, the usual crazy vegetables, baked stuff, desserts, rice, beans, etc. They serve platters. I saw some in the usual clan shell containers and then three sizes of "buckets" on top of the counter. I'm not sure what is for what. They sell meat by the pound. No sandwiches (less something called a El Jibarito). They gave me a slice of baguette with the meat. You can see they roast a whole pig. Some were chillin' at the counter (behind glass). It's in the spot that I think was a High Tide Harry's and then some Turkish place. You can't miss the color scheme. Puerto Rican flag painted on the roof. I thought it would be gross inside. It wasn't. Actually cute. I mean it was probably first a fast food place so there is only so much you can do. They added some folksy, stained wood tables that seem hand crafted. They painted. They walled off the back of the restaurant and added a screened patio with a fountain. It was clean. They were nice. I'm going back for the chicken, a second round of Miss Piggy and a whole lot more once they translate the half of the menu I didn't recognize.

No comments: