Thursday, December 3, 2015

Maru Sushi and Grill, Sanford

I had lunch at this mostly Japanese restaurant at the back corner of the Seminole mall (behind the Ale House near Books A Million) today. They fancy themselves a medium high level experience judging by the prices. I settled on the $12 sushi lunch special and prayed the 6 pieces of nigiri (and California roll) wouldn't be slop. I asked the waitress what it would likely be and she couldn't be bothered to ask the guy making it (in an empty restaurant) who was two feet away what it would be. Instead she acted (or just was) dumb. My apprehension was misplaced. I got the obligatory tuna, salmon and shrimp. They were the low lights. Flossy, tail meat tuna. Fatless, rubbery salmon that looked like the decorative samples they put out at certain places. I've never seen such a piece of salmon. I can't imagine what part they took it from. The shrimp was the same stuff everyone sources. The other three pieces were - yellowtail, albacore and fluke. I think it was fluke because it was so white, but, it seemed too soft. Maybe a tank fish like tilapia (except it would have bands of color). Anyway, they were all fresh and good. The rice was a bit fluffy. The packing of it was a wee loose and had "tails" that fell off when you dipped. The miso looked cool with bits of seaweed that looked like diced scallion. The taste was bland. The salad was swimming in dressing and water. They also have a few, Korean, udon and teryaki and fried Japanese "all star" dishes. A few "extras" on the generic sushi selection. Your usual overpriced rolls. The takeout menu says the nigiri ranges from $6 to $8. I thought I saw alot of that stuff at a dollar more on my menu. And therein lies the dilemma. Is it worth an extra fifty percent over the value competition? I'm not sure. The "experience" isn't as compelling as an Amura (which is also a medium high) and quality isn't up to a Rangetsu, Dragonfly or Sushi Lola let alone a Hanamizuki. If they dropped their prices a bit, I might be more energetic in recommending them. However, they have survived in no man's land with no marketing of publicity for three years (I never heard of them - just stumbled on them). People did eventually come in while I was there. They were cocky/rude enough not to seem desperate. I guess you will have to judge for yourselves. The place seats about sixty. It's clean. They have a more than basic selection of soft booze. They have other lunch specials ($10-$15). Closed on Sunday. $2.50 for a can of Coke.

No comments: