Monday, March 2, 2020

Crafty Crab, Altamonte Springs

I tried this two week old seafood boil restaurant just south of 436 on 434 on Thursday for a late lunch. It's right off the road in a spot that was once a Himalayan barbeque place. After Backyard Burgers. It wasn't my first choice, but, I couldn't find that. I had actually been laughing at the proliferation of these places while driving around town. This must be the new "it" girl. Poke, we hardly knew ya. I ponied up for a combo of snow crab and crawfish for $19. A half pound of each. I'm not into these places. Usually the seafood is overcooked from frozen stock. This however wasn't half bad. Seemingly fresh. Now, I did have them add the "boom". That is a mix of all three of their flavorings (Cajun, buttery garlic and lemon pepper). Maybe that hid any funk. But, I swear the snow crab was juicy and plump. Not scarred with frost. A half of a crab. The crawfish were also ok. Around ten bugs. It also came with a quarter ear of corn (very fresh and not soggy) and two racquetball sized potatoes. They all arrived on a round, steel tray with a plastic "balloon" sealing in the goodness. I wonder if they steam or boil. Probably boil since they call it that. Not bad for the inferior cooking method. They also sell blue crab (ran out and that's what I would have ordered), king crab, lobster tail, dungeness crab, shrimp, clams and mussels. Head on or off shrimp. Clams are the cheapest at $10 a pound. Then crawfish at $11. Then mussels and blue crab at $13. Then whole shrimp at $16. Headless shrimp at $19. $25 for snow crab. $29 for Dungeness, $32 for lobster. And $33 for king. They have five combos (half and half). They also sell raw oysters, steamed oysters and scallops, six fried things (seven if you include cheese sticks), wings, gumbo, ten sides and three salads (only one is vegetables) and two desserts. The place has lots of wood and nautical looking things and plastic fish and license plates. It seats about eighty. Separate bar area. Washing station. There were about twenty people there at 3:30pm. Service was good. Not much to do, Since these places are now a dime a dozen, I'm not sure you need to seek these guys out. But, maybe there really is some separation when it comes to quality. I was told they are a chain. Birthplace unclear. She's crafty. Now let's see if she gets around.

No comments: