Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Grub Crawl - West Colonial: Mr Wang Sports BBQ and Taglish

I tried these places on Sunday night. The first is in the strip mall on the south side of Kirkman that has the something Sparkling something Market. The second is in the strip mall on John Young that has the Lotte Market.

Mr Wang Sports BBQ - I don't get the "sports" part because the place is wall papered with anime, but, the bbq part is legit. I've had meats roasted on wooden sticks from Japan and Korea, but, these are Chinese. It's the same concept. They sprinkle theirs with some kind of spicy powder that I'd peg as togarashi (chili powder). I had a sampling. Chicken hearts ($2), chicken gizzards ($2), beef back strap ($3), lamb kidney ($3) and pork feet ($5). The kidney and hearts were the most palatable. The feet didn't have much meat. A German pig knuckle has more meat. Although, I think that comes from on top of the foot. This was all skin and fat. A knob of meat. The gizzards (quasi-stomach) is just crunchy. The back straps are mis-translated. I think it is supposed to be a muscle near the spine. This just seemed like skin. I just ordered those two because they were odd. They also had lamb, beef, tendon, sausage, chicken bone, fish ball, chicken wing and 12 vegetable skewers. The squid skewer looked good. They also have shrimp, oyster and scallop on the seafood side. Some odder dishes were: smashed cucumber, sugar tomato, nut (peanut) and edamame, vinegar jelly fish, ice rice and  pork skin jelly. They also had some noodle and rice dishes. 6 Chef specials. It is in a small room. It may seat forty. I was expecting some hokey Mongolian barbeque. It was a hip Chinese izakaya. Who wudda thunk it? One hang up. They only open at 2pm. I'd seek it out for the novelty alone. They said it was Northern Chinese food. It sounded like Xi'An, but when I suggested that that was the "noodle" place, I got a blank stare. So who knows what city they were trying to describe. They have been open for a year.

Taglish - I just read a review in the Weekly and there was another hanging from the Sentinel above the register. That is pretty quick for a four month old food stall. I assume both were good reviews. I have to join the chorus. I loved my sisig (scrapings from a pig's head). The owner said they use more pork belly, etc than the traditional method. For anyone too perplexed by the thought of eating brain and cheeks. There was a ton of succulent pork. It's on a bed of rice. Garlic mayo, pickled jalapeno, garlic, tomato and onion and a poached (seemed more fried) complete the dish. It cost $11. It also comes in eggplant. I ordered it because it's how I judge a Filipino place. They also serve bbq chicken sticks, adobo chicken, longsilog (sausage), lechon kawali (pork belly), milkfish, monggo guisado (mung bean stew), fried chicken escabeche, kare kare (oxtail and short rib stew) 2 burgers, 2 burritos, pork belly sandwich, street corn, chicharrones, lumpia (spring rolls), potatoes, chicken skewers, sisig fries, stewed mung beans, pickled papaya salad, garlic rice, shaved ice and salted duck egg. I had one of those for $1. It was un-fetused. Too salty for me. I'd make the trip if I was you. It's in a great market and there are five other interesting stalls there as well. I'll list them below. The owner told me he has had places in Honolulu and Vegas.

*Lotte is a huge retailer in Korea. I ate their sushi every night for a week straight last April. Billboards and locations everywhere. The stalls in there were: Izziban Katsu, Seoul Soon Tofu, Pho 54, Joen and Itea. There selection of Korean and Asian goods is also worth the trip. It's on the right side of the complex in the back.

No comments: