Sunday, March 22, 2020

Grub Crawl - East Colonial: Pho Huong Lan, Banh Mi Boy and Vivi Bubble Tea

I grabbed some things to go after lunch at these places near Mills two Tuesdays ago. The first is in the rear of the strip mall aside from the macaroon place and Anthony's. The second is in Tien Hung Market next to Anh Hong. The third is across the street from them.

Pho Huong Lan - I tried to find another restaurant here over the last few years and it was never open. I tried this place a few months ago and it wasn't open either. Maybe I came too late. I can't remember. I think they close at 8 or 9pm. Huong Lan is the owner. She opened this pho shop three months ago. They offer 6 types in 5 sizes. Meatballs, tendon, brisket, two cuts of beef and one other thing I can't recall. I had the one with the two beef cuts. I think it was a regular size. It cost $10. The broth was beefy. Not sweet. I'm not adept enough to tell you if it (the broth) is home made or not. I forget what to look for. It did have a surface of liquid animal fat. If that is evidence. It was made to go. The veg were fresh and the "fancier" meat was packed raw. That is a first. Usually they cook it a little. It did help keep it from being ruined when I reheated it. The place looks a little like a Far Eastern nightclub. Lots of twinkly lighting, blue color, mirrors that look like they would reveal a peep show. Vietnamese tv on the tv. It seats around thirty. It was packed. All Vietnamese. Maybe some gangsters?

Banh Mi Boy - The younger generation (at the register) convinced the older to let him put up a more contemporary sign. Inside this well stocked market (even some grab and go prepared meals) is a deli counter where they make about ten sandwiches. I had the "traditional" banh mi of head cheese and pate and bologna. It cost $5. It was a very good representation. Great baguette. They also prepare a ton of fresh squeezed drinks. They promoted one made of sugar cane juice. I almost had one. I only didn't because I was going to try the next place in the post. They put that sign up a year ago. The market has been there for  a long time.

Vivi Bubble Tea - They said they have been there for two years. It's a Chinese drink place that offers three or four food specials. I had an oolong "float". They said this was one of those "cheese" teas I've spoken of. I'm not sure if that is the case. If something was lost in translation. If it is, then the big whoop is that it is like a milk foam. It cost $4. It was fine. Like a tea cappuccino. The place looks like every other drink place. Nothing more or nothing less.



No comments: