Thursday, March 12, 2020

Grub Crawl - South Orange: Hungry Pants (Closed) and Mooya

I tried these places on South Orange (a little south of Michigan) on Tuesday at lunch. The first has been open for at least six months. The second just opened that day (coincidentally).

Hungry Pants - This is a mostly vegan joint in the spot that I think was last called Carol's. I had a cheeseburger for $9 and a butternut squash soup for $4. They have a few "meat" options. One other was salmon. I forget the others. The soup was mostly healthy. Just a swirl of cream on top. The stock was probably vegetable or just straight squash (pureed). I've had more flavorful attempts, but, it was good. Big bowl. Some ginger. The only drawback was a bit of veggie "grit" in the soup. Maybe the squash wasn't totally ripe (or some rind got in there) because it didn't taste of ginger. The burger was presented nicely. A bit overcooked. It also had a gritty feel that may have been due to some binder. It also had a bit of seasoning to it. Less than that Streetwise burger I didn't really love. They served a sweet red cabbage slaw on the side. The rest of the menu is around the same prices for apps and salads and faux meats. The place looks like it was furnished by Ikea. The color scheme is gray and wood. A few patterns add color. Framed pants. It seats about forty. There were around twenty there. The staff is a bit low energy. I never know if that is the result of "medication" or iron deficiency. It's an "order at the front of house" and we deliver sort of place. Some guys on the radio were bitching about how places like these are annoying because they force you to add on a tip BEFORE you receive the service. It made me laugh that that was what I walked into. All in all, they seem to care. I wasn't dying to check them out, but, I wasn't disappointed. If you are vegan, you may appreciate the place more than I. I think they may just be open for breakfast and lunch. I didn't love the $3 iced tea.

Mooyah - They said they are a chain out of Texas. It's pretty much burgers and fries and shakes. I grabbed a quarter pound burger with green chili queso and lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and ketchup to go. It cost $6.50. One dollar extra for cheese. It was pretty good. Like Burger Fi, etc. The bun was a potato bun. They also have a half pounder, turkey or black bean patty. And a hot dog. You can get a multigrain bun or gluten free or a lettuce leaf wrap. Bacon. Avocado. Other toppings and sauces. They use somebody called Dr Praeger for the black bean burger. Jennie O on the turkey. They have hand cut Idaho or sweet potato fries. Tenders and grilled cheese for the kiddies. They are in the strip mall that had the Lucky Market. I believe the condos are called Ecco. There is a PDQ in front. It has a red, white and black color scheme. Lots of white tile. Plenty of seats. Order at the counter. There may be more on the way. You probably won't make the trip just for them, but, it's safe if you do. Nothing earth shattering. The burger had a beefy taste. Not overdone. There is a Twisty Treat opening next door. I thought the crowd was pretty big, but, the owner seemed disappointed. I'm not sure how much marketing they did.

No comments: