Monday, March 30, 2020

Grub Crawl - New Smyrna Beach: That's Amore, Finger Lickin BBQ and Boston's Fish House

I tried these places at dinner this weekend. All to go. The first two on Saturday and the last on Sunday. I had to try something to beat the heat and two weeks of isolation. It appears that the leaders in this area are have a bit more of a backbone and still allowed some beach access. It was mostly respected. A few groups congregated in large numbers around picnic tables. The same people whom I'm sure will blame any disproportionate spread of the disease on a government conspiracy. These restaurants let you order at the register and take the food to go. That was actually better for me. I took it and ate it with a view. It was a sanity saver.

That's Amore - This Italian spot is near the shuffle board club off Flagler on Pine. Parking across the street. It looked scarier than usual with the chairs and tables all piled against the wall. It's dark and stony and woody in the best of circumstances. More wine cave than eatery. I had a 14" pizza to go for $13. It was actually very good as a NY style pizza. Thin bottom crust. Thick rim crust. Very little sauce. It was salty. The cheese layer was twice as thick as the crust. A bit too much. And the quality was industrial. They have a lot of toppings too choose from. Even lump crab meat. They do gluten free crusts and calzones. A 10" is $10. The menu tries to be a bit more. Pappardelle instead of spaghetti. Although they have that too. Plus fettucine, gnocchi, lasagna, penne and tortellini. All over priced ($17-$20). That does make the seafood pasta ($19-$25) seem cheap by comparison. They also do chicken or veal in five styles ($19 - $25). Apps are all near or over $10. Only eight of them. Some salads ($10-$12). Seven $10-$11 paninis. There are owned by twins and have been there for ten years.

Finger Lickin BBQ - This is in the central part of town near US1. On North Orange about a block north off the main through street. One block in from US1. I found you can also get to this area by making a left off 46 at Palmetto. They are open Th-Sn from 11am to 9pm. 6pm on Sunday. Their sign said they are open on Wednesday. Not sure if that is just temporary. They smoke on site. It looks like a cute little shed. A few seats inside. I had a half pound of pulled pork ($6) and a half slab of ribs ($13). Both were good. The pork was too pulled and sauced for me. Sweet sauce. The ribs (8) were long. A little dry. Like they were grilled. I didn't taste much smoke. Beefy flavor. They said they cook them for six hours. So, maybe not in a smoker? I asked for hot sauce. It was a mustardy fruit sauce. Raspberry, citrus and scotch bonnets? They also have fried stuff, seafood, sausage, chicken, brisket (it was twenty minutes from ready), sides, etc. A nice menu. The have been open for four years. Good prices. A bbq chicken sandwich is only $4 at lunch. The sell the meats on a sandwich or by the pound.

Boston's Fish House - I've left off eating here for years because I tried one in Winter Park years ago. They told me this place split from them ten years ago. It is a New England style seafood place (ie chowder and fried clams as the stars). I had a cup of clam chowder for $5 and the seafood trio (fried Point Judith calamari, clam strips and popcorn shrimp) for $15. It's an app. It was very good. A lot of food. Around twelve shrimp. Decent size and fresh tasting and firm. The calamari and clams were hard to judge as usual. Just fried rubber to me. Big portions. The frying was pretty good. The ten minutes it steamed in the box before I unwrapped it probably hurt. It came with "pickled chips". I forgot and tossed them. I wonder what they were like? The chowder was pretty good. Good chowder. The clams were great. Very fresh. Belly meat. The only negative was that the potatoes were a little undercooked. The menu had a lot of market prices. The printed prices were pretty fair. A burger was $11. Clam roll was $15. They serve fish, scallops, linguine, chicken fingers, lobster roll, tacos, po boy, bisque, steamers, chicken, etc. They were giving everyone 10 or 15% off. The place looks cute. Only six booth, a bar and a few tables. License plates on the wall. It's across from the Publix shopping center on 46 before it curves to the right at South Atlantic Ave. M-Th 11am to 9pm. F 11am to 9:30pm. Sa 10am to 9:30pm. Sn 10am to 8:30pm.

*I'd like to offer an observation about the virus. You may have noticed that I travel a lot and I can tell you that I hope that something is done from here on out about the lack of cleaning that goes on in the airline industry. I've seen it deteriorate into nothing. Aside from garbage and lord knows what, I've been made to sit in puke that they had all night to clean. It's disgusting and (now) dangerous. Plus they ley anybody on. I can't tell you how many Typhoid Mary's I've seen boarding a plane. It was a matter of time. Obviously cruise ships can be added to this list. And rental cars. And as I go through a "quarantined" day, I can't believe how many things that I touch that are touched or breathed on by others (atm, food, gas pumps, products, etc). And we live here. You should see the sanitary conditions in the rest of the world. It is actually amazing we don't see more of this.

**I would also like one political official to read The Plague by Albert Camus.

No comments: