Sunday, March 1, 2020

Streetwise Urban Food, OIA Area

I tried this place just under two weeks ago on my way to the airport. It's on Hoffner (a half a mile west of 436) in a strip mall across from the larger supermarketed strip mall across the street. I believe they have been open for a month or two. I had a burger with pepperoni and mozzarella that is basically a pizza burger and their idea of urban street food. The patty was heavily seasoned with spices. I hate that. The beef also had that weird taste you get from places where the cows look like wildebeasts and have their ribs sticking out of their skin. It came on a brioche. Some would say that that lends it a layer of flavor. I would say it clashes with all the others. The temp was good. It was an ok size. They also serve it as a double and I think that would be too much. I kind of remember some kind of sauce on it. It also came with fries. I think they were good. The forgettable-ness of the meal says a lot. It cost $8. A similar burger with sweet plantains was about as exotic as it gets. I believe they claim to serve world cuisine. I believe the owner is Haitian. Name is Saint Pierre. The menu didn't seem very international. The only other items are other burgers, cheese steaks and a chicken and waffles dish that just looked like chicken fingers and which they could only make one order at a time. That is how I settled on a burger. I didn't want to wait. Sodas were too expensive at $3. It's a fast food type place after all. There was some talk of breakfast and if they did do it and stopped and/or if they are going to start/restart it in the future. The owner was there the first time I stopped for a recon. But, he wasn't there at lunch time this time. Just two Filipinas. The place seats about thirty. It is a long, rectangular space. Seats on the left side. A tv. Kind of modern. white. Not a must add to your collection. I think they said they are open late (after 8pm for Orlandoze).  Maybe that is a reason to try them if you are flying in at night.

*I had only one semi-new experience in Mexico. a Burger King taco looking thing called a taco de canasta. I had mine stuffed with chichurron. You could get the usual fillings.

No comments: