Thursday, October 8, 2009

Aoba, Ocoee

I've been waiting to write this one since I got in the car. Yesterday I went to this Japanese restaurant in Ocoee. It's in a decrepit shopping plaza on Maguire Rd. It fits right in with it's surroundings. It has horrible roll around wooden chairs from the eighties. They would be horrendous in a work station let alone a restaurant. The place may have the most expensive prices in all of Orlando. Which is ok if you are explaining them through the logic of the bizarro universe from Superman. It is the worst Japanese restaurant I've been to in Orlando. Not just on quality, but, on price to performance. I could see it was going to be a rough meal when the 3 piece sushi plus Ca Roll lunch special started at $10. I decided that if I was going to be hosed for $10 I would at least get something bordering on exotic. I has the conch for $4 and an escolar roll for $4.50. The cheapest things not grown in the ground. The conch was limp, mushy and paper thin. The sushi rice was mush. The wasabi was dry. The escolar was actually tasty, but, it had the girth of the owner's ding dong (I'm guessing) - straw like. On top of this, they charged $2.50 for a soda (and no refills). The service was ok because only 3 other numbskulls like me were being grifted at the time. The owner bemoaned how much longer he could stay in business. Baby, you're all ready out of business you just don't know it yet.

No comments: