Sunday, October 25, 2009

Steak & Salad, Mills Ave - Closed

On Saturday I had lunch at this Steakhouse (?) on Mills Ave (17-92 in b/n Winter Park and 50). I had calamari for $5.99 and the Seafood Pizza for $5.99. The calamari was packaged I would guess. It had a burnt taste that I would ascribe to being reheated in a microwave. At least it wasn't greasy. The Seafood Pizza was better. I usually hate cheese and seafood but I already had steak this week. It came out looking like Baked Alaska (which was cool). It had fresh tomatos, and just a little cheese and some real shrimp and fake crab . The fake crab actually gave it some sweetness, but, I would remove it and let the shrimp talk. The place was nicer on the inside than you would expect from the outside. From the outside I was expecting a place that serves cold mashed potatos to octogenarians at 4 in the afternoon. It's small (30) seats. They have a bar by the kitchen with a flat screen above it. The owner seems to do the cooking and although it was empty at 8pm, they were fielding a lot of take out orders. Their main fare is meat - pork chops, steak, fish and chicken. The price point for these options was around 9 dollars and they came with sides. I bet they are far superior to Sizzler or IHOP at lower prices. They had limited parking.

I would offer one suggestion. Jazz up that sign. It doesn't reflect the inside effectively or positively. You are next to a gay bar. Ask them for some advice.

No comments: