Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Dragonfly, Sand Lake

I grabbed a snack at this Japenese style restaurant in the Via Dellagio complex on Friday. I believe it markets itself as an Izakaya (pub) style establishment. It was my first choice for dinner, but, they didn't seem anxious enough to have me so I tried one of the six other choices steps away. This way I could report back without making another trek here and stiff them out of a full meal charge. I had 2 pieces of Escolar sashimi for $5. They listed the fish as seared, but, I think it was cooked through. In any case, it was buttery. I also had two pieces of Kampachi (Baby Yellow Tail). it has been a while since I've eaten that, but, I could swear it was regular YT. It was very firm, cool and flavorless. I would bet it was poorly thawed YT. It was $6. They were out of Uni. The place looks great. It's very chic inside. It seats: about 20 at the sushi bar, about 60 in the main room, about 50 outside and about 12 in a semi private area. The bar is small (12) for a pub style venue. The restaurant is decorated in a lot of black. Very cosmopolitan Japanese with touches of antiquity. The menu includes items served on a robata grill (supposedly the only place in town with it). They had some interesting items (like yellow tail collar) to grill. The main lures on the sushi menu were some kind of specially raised or caught salmon, the things I ordered and one other that I can't remember. The beer was cheap. The wine was a dollar or two a glass high. The sake was way overpriced. I saw a cheap ass sake warmer in the bar, but, they didn't mention it on the menu. If that isn't what it is, sake will start setting you back almost $20. The clientele was natty. Pretty young and happening. The service was polite (hostess not included). I hate to say that I will have to eat crow and eat here again. I may even condescend to eat outside or at the sushi bar. Sadly, they aren't open for lunch. But, that's the sign of a flourishing restaurant, right?

No comments: