Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Taste Of Jamaica, Lockhart

I bought some curried chicken to go on Saturday at this Caribbean restaurant on SOBT and Clarcona Ocoee Rd. It cost $5.50. It came with white rice, a steamed banana and a boiled dumpling. The curry was tasty (not too hot). The chicken wasn't the best pieces of the bird. They have obviously never heard that you don't give a dog chicken bones because they will shatter into little shards at choke him. I know they haven't heard of this because they also don't know it applies to humans. And not only choking, but, cracking a tooth. Eating an unboned fish was less dangerous than this. The rice was fine. The dumpling was a rock. The banana was fine. The service was a bit slow for scooping a helping out of a pot and dumping it in a styrofoam box. They have some interesting (for a non-islander) breakfast items. Ackee and codfish, beef liver, callaloo and a daily porridge. They serve goat, stewed chicken feet, oxtail, roti, gizzards, cow feet, and of course jerks, fish, stews, patties and other regional items. A gold mine for the fearless. It's in an old fast food restaurant. They have decorated it. It seats about 100. They have take out and sit in (no wait staff I think). It's priced reasonably. I would guess people who know would say this is the best of breed. I've been to about six similar places locally so I'm not sure I have enough info to judge. But, it does seem to be the best in terms of selection and quality that I have been to so far.

No comments: