Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Italian Village Cafe, Winter Park

I ordered two sandwiches to go at this Italian Cafe on 17-92 (across from the Winter Park City Center) on Monday. I had a Blinda Panini (sliced beef, red onion, tomato, mozzarella, jalapeno and smoked bacon) for $6.79 (even though the menu said $5.99) and a Peri-Peri Chicken Baguette for $5.50. Both were good. The Blinda came with a side salad of field greens that was better than many salads people serve at nattier places. The Peri-Peri Chicken is a slightly spicy Jamaican jerk recipe. The place seats about 6. It's in an old Coldstone Creamery store that they haven't really modified much. They have: 11 pastas, 7 salads, 9 wraps, 11 paninis, 13 subs and ice cream, shakes, sorbet, gelato, yogurt and smoothies. They even make spaghetti noodles and pizza out of ice cream. It's something the well traveled owners picked up in Germany. The menu isn't all Italian and I don't know what makes it a "village" cafe, but, it's about the same price as the chain sandwich shops and has more variety. I'm not a "sweets" guy so you are on your own there. I didn't have the courage to order the pastas. I wouldn't tell you to tackle the traffic and limited parking just to eat here, but, if you are in the neighborhood it is a decent experience and value. It was better than I expected. The place looks pretty unassuming.

No comments: