Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sushi Katana, Orlando

I popped into this sushi bar on Conroy to quaff some sake on Saturday night and ended up eating. I had two pieces of the following: Sea Urchin ($7), Conch ($4), Salmon ($4), and Yellowtail ($5). I also had two glasses of the Saturday "special drink" - Premium Sake for $5 for 3/4 of a champagne glass. Everything was excellent. The rice was good. It was packed properly. The cuts were large. They were extremely fresh. They were plated simply and attractively. The service was great. It looks super cool. It has a mostly gray template that incorporates steel as the backbone. They have some lithographs of lips and one flat screen above the prep area. The place seats about ten at the sushi bar and 60 at tables. It was packed. They have one couch like area in the middle of the room. It's a small, rectangular space. The menu was mostly rolls. I would rate it in the top ten if they had more selection. But, competition is fierce and the sample pool is large in the greater Orlando area that I consider. I still love what I saw and sampled. Definitely the best in the area around the Millenia Mall. BTW - some tips that I think I have yet to share with you. Supposedly, real sushi eaters dip the fish side into the soy sauce not the rice side and if you dip more than 33% of the thickness into the soy sauce you are a Gaijin.

No comments: