Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Nara Deva, Orlando

I had dinner at this Thai restaurant on Millenia Plaza Way (off Conroy near the Mall) on Saturday. I had something called the Classic Combo for $17. It is a plate of green papaya salad, rice and jerked meat. The papaya salad is made from the unripe fruit which has the consistency and taste of cabbage. It is mixed with carrot threads, green beans, tomatos and peanuts. It is hot and sour. The peanuts absorb a little of the spiciness and add some savoriness and depth. The rice was called something like Pandan. It was white rice that they dressed in a bowl with some sweet coconut infused liquid and then flipped over onto the plate. It had a sweet and sour taste. The rice seemed a little dry. I would guess that it was left over from a less than successful lunch service. The "jerked" meat can be chicken, beef or pork. I went with chicken and I think it may survive this technique the least successfully. Strips of meat are marinated in teryaki sauce and stir fried. I think the chicken is too delicate. The result was salty and sour. I liked that all three elements picked up on a different flavor in relation to the sour one that they all shared. The food came out fast. They serve the usual Thai curries, some interesting delicacies and some elements that I swear are Chinese, but they said were Thai. I guess I just have never run across them at other restaurants or in my one visit to the country. The place seats about 80. It is a big space. The tables have alot of breathing room. There are booths and tables. It is decorated nicely and appropriately (except for an area on the right side that just stores wine). Half the space has windows. There is a patio that I didn't include in my capacity estimate. There were twelve people there while I ate. I think that is their problem. It's a good spot. The prices aren't that high for Thai. The place looks nice. The service (probably the wife and daughter) was good. They advertise. The location is a little off the beaten path. Yet, somehow I bet they are being overlooked. If I have guessed right, it is only: the Thai mother who is in charge of the dining room and probably talked her Indian husband into opening the place, her poor daughter or niece forced into indentured servitude to help cut costs and a skeleton kitchen crew. They have gone for a high end Thai experience and I'd like to see them be able to work it on all cylinders. Try and make that happen for them before they drop off the map.

No comments: