Thursday, January 12, 2012

La Hacienda Taqueria, Winter Park

I had snack one of what I am terming "the day of eating dangerously" today at this Taqueria in a meat market/grocery store of the same name on 436 and Aloma (near Friendly Confines). I wasn't as worried about this place as the two others, but since my stomach has been cramping since Christmas like a vagina on day twenty eight, I have been apprehensive about anything other than dry white toast. I'm glad you thought "who was the culprit?" and I have narrowed it down to Shanghai Chinese, Jersey Mike's sandwiches or the dollar off package of Stouffer's Ravioli I bought at Publix. They can't just throw it out. They have to try and make a buck on something the CDC put on the quarantine list. To return to the review. I had two tacos I have never seen before. I had a Birria (steamed bbq pork) and a Milanesa (breaded fried steak) for $1.50 a piece. Both were very good. The pork was a little juicer because of the steaming and still had a crunch. It was a big portion with onions and cilantro. The Milanesa is something I've had on its own, but, never cut up into a taco. It worked. A little dry. They said the owner is from Jalisco and the cook is from Veracruz. I'm not sure where the menu takes inspiration from. They have: tacos, tortas, salads, tostadas, burritos, quesadillas, fajitas, frituras, gorditas, sopes, seafood, breakfast, typical Mexican dishes and lunch specials. It only seats about 12 in the far left corner of the market. The walls are frescoed. The crowd was mostly Mexican, but, there were three college kids there too. It isn't the Ritz, but, it is one of those good little gems that offers authentic, no nonsense meals at reasonable prices. Find it if you are looking for your own little secret hole in the wall. Half the fun is how off the radar it is.

1 comment:

evan said...

I love this place and one of the few taquerias that does tripe.

People running the place are pretty nice and weekend they have soups.