Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Food Truck Round Up - Lake Mary : Nubu, Baxter and Tilly's, Chutzpah

I went to this event (at City Hall) on Sunday (1-4pm - supposedly every last Sunday of the month) and tried three of the trucks. I had already tried all but one of the others (8 total) and was not willing to wait for El Salvadoran Pupusas (Arepas clone). It was like the Seinfeld (it's amazing that this site has Seinfeld in the spell check and doesn't have a million other words) with the car reservation. They knew how to "take the order" just not how to "make the order". I swear there were nine tickets at the window and still nothing was coming out of the truck. And the guy was still taking orders. And idiots were still making this the most popular truck by far. I swear - the more I learn, the less I know.

Nubu Food Truck: A big selection of ambitious meals around $7. I had coq au vin for $5. It came in a Styrofoam cup. Maybe too much dry herbs (bitter) and bad white wine (wasn't cooked out or had a bad residual taste). Less and fresh herbs would impove it. Lots of nice vegetables. I'm not sure if coq au vin is supposed to have bow tie pasta in it. A for effort. C for execution. Nice people. I will try something else in the future.

Baxter and Tilly's Food Truck: I had a Cannoli for $2 because the Greek salad that came pre-packed in a plastic container and the chicken salad on a croissant (both $7) seemed boring with what else was going on around her truck. She said she is new and hopefully will learn. The cannoli was good. Chocolate dipped at both ends. I'm not a fan of desserts so I can't really elaborate.

Chutzpah Food Truck: The best truck. They had around nine options. All for $5. I had the Brisket Sandwich with a garlic and onion relish pickled in balsamic vinegar. Tender brisket. Great relish. Although, the bun was kind of over soaked in the vinegar. This was my weekend of brisket. I'm going for the middle eastern meatballs and the matzoh ball soup next time.

I hope the other trucks noticed that the people were most receptive of the things priced $5 and lower.

No comments: