Monday, January 23, 2012

Armando's, Winter Park

I had lunch at this new "Pizzeria e Cucina Italiana" in Hannibal Square (most recently the Hot Olives location - W. New England Ave) on Wednesday. If you read my reviews you will know that I hate mediocre Italian that is priced like fine cuisine. This is the exception to that rule. I love this place. They are the same people who brought you Toscana on Park Ave (not sure if they closed that down). I had a Pollo Milanese (pan fried breaded chicken cutlet with arugula) for $10. It was well prepared. It wasn't greasy. The coating was panko-like. It was a fair sized portion. They served alot of arugula. It wasn't over dressed. It came, simply, on a nice white plate in which they had made a swirl of balsamic that covered the circumference of the plate like one of those illusions they spin to make you dizzy. Simple, yet refined. I was so taken by the presentation and the return of my ailing appetite that I wanted to see if they could bake a pizza. I ordered a Margherita Pizza for $11. It was great. Thin. Lightly charred bottom. Crunchy crust. Real, fresh mozzarella. And not just four half dollars in a sea of dry tomato sauce like at some places. The whole pie was covered. It also came with basil. There was a little wetness to the pie. That means there was water content in the tomatoes or cheese (both signs of freshness). The pizza came out quick. I'm not sure if they gave me one that had been started for someone else, but, I could swear it was at my table in four minutes. The pie was a big pie. Not some plate size insult. Six BIG slices. I ate half and took the rest home. It was almost as good cold. The rest of menu (lunch) is composed of: entree priced appetizers (Antipasti per Due), reasonably priced salads and soup (Inslata e Zuppa), $9 paninis, $10 entrees (Pranzo) of pastas and chicken and pizzas from $10-$15. The dinner menu is similar, but, adds a larger pasta section ($14-$17), switches up the chicken dishes ($17) and adds veal ($17-$18) and seafood ($18-$20). Nothing above $20! At dinner! And it's actually good. It's like they read my reviews. The place has about four dining options. Outside (40), bar (8), back room (30) and main room (30). I believe the back room was once a tented area. It is now enclosed. Most people were dining al fresco when I was there. It was about half full. The place is all white with some wood accents. The overhead lights are converted baskets. The pizza oven is tile with colorful rustic designs. The hot kitchen is all stainless steel. They are open view and in the back of the main room. Cold prep is done behind the scenes. On a possibly interesting tangent, Gordon Ramsey said on his latest episode that it's a bad sign if the chefs aren't looking in the direction of the oven. See where these chefs focus their attention. The service (3) was good (especially after I ordered again). The one downside is that parking is limited in this area of town. Aside from that, I have been itching to write this review. This is a well run business. The space is great. The decor is great. The staff if competent. It is set up smartly. They have the right items. They have the right pricing. The different lunch and dinner menus don't make anyone feel they are being cheated if they come at night. Their wine list was good and distinctive. I have a feeling they will be very popular for years. I'm so glad this location received a good trustee.

No comments: