Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Kingfish, College Park - Closed

I had lunch at this self-described Italian Bistro on Edgewater Dr in College Park on Saturday. I didn't know Italians could have a "bistro", but, perhaps the Vietnamese owners don't quite understand European linguistics. It's not the only thing that is befuddled at this time. The menu is a typical, dull, medium-high priced Italian assortment with egg rolls, sashimi, buffalo wings, etc. Somethings are priced well. Most are overpriced (ie $4 for french fries, $11 for a small pizza, $9 for a calzone). I'm not even sure this neighborhood needed another Italian restaurant. And since only two other people were eating there while almost every restaurant around them was full, I think I'm right (and that is taking into account they are new and should have more lookey loos like me). I really don't want to bag on this place because the people seem nice and the service was good. But, why aren't you a seafood restaurant? I tried my best to make it one by ordering the Insalata de Pesce (grilled salmon, pine nuts, black olives, artichoke hearts on mixed greens) for $12 and getting them to replace the salmon with cobia for excitement. A side note - they said that by switching to parrot fish the price would jump $4, but, cobia was the same price as salmon. I checked at the market and salmon and talapia (another fish they carry) is $8 a pound while cobia is $16 (no parrot fish at the market). So I'm not sure if I really got talapia or they buy better than the market or they goofed. In any case, the fish was fine. Not a lot of flavor. I forget what it was supposed to taste like. There are so many fish out there now and they all are called by more names than the roads around Orlando. Pan "grilled". Not grill grilled. So it wasn't smoky. Not that I prefer that. The salad was a mess. It was small. It wasn't field greens. It was field green (romaine probably). There was; one bottled artichoke cut in quarters in each corner of the plate, four olives, five pine nuts, some onions, some peppers, and a syrupy vinaigrette. I mean come on. You can by a bag of field greens (assorted) at the market. I'm not asking for organically grown stuff from a ferret's cage in the back of a locally parked VW bus. Just respect the description you wrote in your menu. The place is ok looking (I would lose the neon beer signs). It is decorated close enough to its purported inspiration. It seats about 50. For a place that represents the value proposition that I like the least, it would be near the top because they seem to care. I would just have to be selective in what I ordered. But, if you are one of those legions of food zombies who love over priced Southern Italian flotsam, this poorly named enabler is waiting for you. I would act fast because I think it may be a limited engagement.

No comments: